Best practice forum (Archived)

Tl-2545 Sorting courses after adding to Program

Martinique Johns
Tl-2545 Sorting courses after adding to Program
by Martinique Johns - Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 9:45 AM

I hope this hasn't been addressed already, but here's my question.

We number our courses sequentially so learners will know the order the courses should be taken.

Something odd I noticed is that if we add new courses out of sequence, there is no way to reorder them when they are added to a program.  What happens is the courses seem to be added to the list in the order in which they were created.

It may be something I'm doing or missing, so I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.

See the attached image.  In this case PCS 102 was created after PCS 105.  When I noticed the courses seem out of sequence, I deleted all the courses and re-added them; in sequence.  

However, PCS 102 continues to show up after PCS 105.

(Edited by Tom Wood - original submission Wednesday, 15 August 2012, 4:45 AM)

Martinique Johns
Re: Sorting courses after adding to Program
by Martinique Johns - Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 9:52 AM

Here's my workaround.  I had to delete the current set; then add a new set to get the courses to appear sequentially.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 3:59 PM
Group Totara

Hi Martinique

Yes you are right there is no move ability withing the course set - its possible to move the whole course set but not with the course set.

It seems logical to include the ability to move within a course set also.

Do people using course sets usually have small sets that can be got around by recreating or would the move feature be commonly required?

Craig

Martinique Johns
by Martinique Johns - Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 6:35 PM

Hi Craig;

We often have to rename courses or shift course sequences within categories, especially now that we have begun the process of import existing courses from our other learning systems.

Recreating a new set each time is possible, while we are working with fewer courses withn each set.  

Eventually, we will have a larger number of courses within several smaller sets within a program.  My concern is as we begin importing courses from a larger system  - recreating course sets to may be a bit challenging.  

Andy Kirk (Totara)
by Andy Kirk (Totara) - Wednesday, 15 August 2012, 1:41 AM

Hi Craig, Martinique,

For info, this is something that another partner has just raised as good to have functionality after encoutnering the same issue and workaround. We can feed this back to the development team as a suggestion for consideration for an 'incremental' improvement.

Andy
Alan Bradshaw
by Alan Bradshaw - Wednesday, 15 August 2012, 2:24 AM

> Do people using course sets usually have small sets that can be got around by recreating or would the move feature be commonly required?

I've had to do this recently (recreate entire set) with a set of twenty courses and it was somewhat annoying. Definite +1 vote for this feature request.

me
by Chris Wharton - Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 7:42 AM

Sorry to dredge up an old post. Is anyone still interested in getting this working? A client is keen to split the development costs with someone else. There is a tracker bug here FEATURE: Support sorting (reordering) of courses within a program courseset which hasn't seen action.

Chris.

Thomas Lentz
by Thomas Lentz - Wednesday, 15 April 2015, 10:46 AM
Group Partners

Hi Chris,

Are you guys planning on doing the DEV or are you looking for someone to take this on?  

-Tom

me
by Chris Wharton - Friday, 17 April 2015, 2:49 AM

Hi Thomas, we intend to do the development. The client is hoping that Totara, or another partner, would be willing to fund a portion of the development.

Tom Wood
by Tom Wood - Monday, 20 April 2015, 6:12 AM
Group Totara

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch to re-raise this feature / enhancement request (tracked under enhancement ID T-9907). This request has been deemed medium priority and is not currently planned for development by Totara core- however it was suggested that, if developed, it would be included as part of the core.

If you wish to pursue this functionality further your options are

• custom development - If you are considering contributing the completed customization back to Totara core, please refer to our guide to contributing code to Totara LMS here and contact Simon Coggins, our Chief Technology Officer.

OR

• provide funding for development by Totara core - If you are considering providing funding for development by Totara core, please contact your Totara Channel Partner Manager to discuss further.

If you wish to escalate your market need for this functionality, please contact your Totara Channel Partner Manager.

I've also created a new forum topic within the Suggest Features section which can be viewed here.

Regards,
Totara Product Support

Tom Wood
by Tom Wood - Wednesday, 22 May 2019, 2:17 AM
Group Totara

We're pleased to confirm that this improvement was included in the latest Evergreen release (20190522)

This adds the ability to order courses within a Program or Certification course set.

(Contributed by Chris Warton)

Kind Regards

Totara Product Support