Best practice forum (Archived)

Dynamic audience behavior question

Wen Hao Chuang
Dynamic audience behavior question
by Wen Hao Chuang - Monday, 1 June 2015, 1:24 PM

I have a quick question regarding dynamic audience behavior in 2.5.23.1.

Let's say that we have an automated process (Totara Sync) that will reset our user's "position starting date" to 1970-01-01 (a randomly selected date, this is for our internal policy) after they joined us for 6 months. However, currently we have some dynamic audience with rulesets depending on User's position starting date.

Let's say that I have the following ruleset for the dynamic audience:

* User's position start date is after 01/20/2015. AND

* User's "cost center is equal to 500  AND

* User's "organization is equal to .... "

Now 6 months later (after 1/20/2015), some of these users' "position starting date" (in their user profile) are being reset to 1970-01-01. I think these users will be removed from this dynamic audience, right? If that's the case, would that also remove (unenroll) them from the paired training (that are using that dynamic audience)? Also, in 2.6.x and 2.7.x, will both behave the same (regarding this) as 2.5.x?? Thanks!

Tom Wood
Re: Dynamic audience behavior question
by Tom Wood - Friday, 5 June 2015, 3:32 AM
Group Totara

Hi Wen,

Thank you for getting in touch with this question, I hope I can help by confirming the expected behaviour of this feature:Essentially the dynamic audience rules are always "live" and therefore if a user no longer matches all defined rules that are set for a specific dynamic audience then they will be "dropped" from the audience.

Consequently, if the user is "dropped" from the audience, any course, program or certification the user was enrolled in (by being a member of that audience) - will also lose access to the learning that was assigned in this way.

I hope this is answers your question.

Thanks

Tom

Wen Hao Chuang
Re: Dynamic audience behavior question
by Wen Hao Chuang - Friday, 5 June 2015, 8:24 AM

Hi Tom,

Yes I think this helps. Thanks!!

Now just off topic for a second (a related question but not the same with my original question)...

With 2.5.23.1, we noticed that even if the user got dropped at the dynamic audience level (thus, should also unenroll them from the programs or certifications that were using that dynamic audience), they were still showing up in the "certification" completion report.

Questions:

1. Does this only happen to "certification," or would this also happen in "programs" and "courses" (course completion report) as well?

2. Does this behavior change in the later version of Totara (e.g. any version that is > 2.5.23.1)?

Thanks! :)