Best practice forum (Archived)

quick question about automated email notification upon completion of a "course"

Wen Hao Chuang
quick question about automated email notification upon completion of a "course"
by Wen Hao Chuang - Thursday, 21 May 2015, 1:49 PM

Sorry to bug everyone a quick question. I remember that I had seen something like this before, but can't quite find it now. I have checked the course setting, course completion setting, "course completion status" block, etc., but can't find such feature. Is it possible for Totara to send out an automated email to notify the learner once they have completed a course (not program) successfully? Thanks!

me
Re: quick question about automated email notification upon completion of a "course"
by George Angus - Thursday, 21 May 2015, 9:47 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wen,

One way would be to use a Certificate Module.

regards,

George.

Wen Hao Chuang
Re: quick question about automated email notification upon completion of a "course"
by Wen Hao Chuang - Friday, 22 May 2015, 1:34 PM

Thanks George! :)

So I guess there is really NO email notification mechanism that I can use at the course level then. It would be really nice if we have such option in the "Course completion status" block so that users can be notified by email once they completed a course.

Quick question. So I think if I don't need the automated recurring feature in Certification, I can just delete the "Recertification path," right? Now, if I have 12 courses, each one of them using a separate certification for deployment, and later on, say, I have another "program" that would bundle some (but not all 12) of these courses for deployment, would that cause conflict (double enrollment), and cause Exception Report? Thanks!

Also, up until now I think I'm still not 100% clear about the true differences between "Program" and "Certification." I know the "recurring course set" in "Program" might be phasing out soon, so it's not encouraged to use "Program" if you need automated recurring (e.g. annual) feature. However, if we have a "one-time" type of training to deploy (say, consist of 12 courses), what would be the true differences between using a "Program" to deploy, and use a "Certification" to deploy?? Is it really the same?? Thanks again!

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 24 May 2015, 4:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wen,

The feature suggestion has been added to our features and enhancements tracker for review and assessment.  For future reference the enhancement ID is TL-6584.

We have also created a post in the Suggest Features Forum.

We will provide a status update once the initial review and assessment has been completed.

Ill take your last point first here - a Certification is basically just a recurring program with fine-grain controls. 

Im not sure about your quick question, can you be a bit clearer on what it is you are hoping to achieve, and why arent you using programs instead of Certifications with no recertifications?

regards,

George.
Wen Hao Chuang
by Wen Hao Chuang - Monday, 1 June 2015, 1:29 PM

I actually found a work-around. In the 3rd party "checklist activity" module (Moodle), it actually has a email notification feature. So if I carefully design the course, and have the checklist activity as the last activity (then enable the email notification once it's checked, see screenshot below).. then it would be able to achieve the effect that I had in mind.

Just want to share with everyone who are interested in a work-around. Hope this helps!