Best practice forum (Archived)

"Course" completion report (historical) with "program" assignment / due dates?

Wen Hao Chuang
"Course" completion report (historical) with "program" assignment / due dates?
by Wen Hao Chuang - Tuesday, 8 September 2015, 10:24 AM

I don't know if this had been discussed before. If so please let me know where I can find that old discussion thread. Thanks!

I'm sure that this should be a very common "use case" for a lot of users here (especially if you need to deal with training compliance or auditing).

Basically we have a lot of "users-only-have-to-take-one-time" type of training, and we deployed these training using "programs" (since we like the "automated messaging" feature). Some of these "programs" can have up to 25 or even 30 courses in them. However, for us, each "course" is equal to a training "topic" (e.g. "Fire Prevention"), so from compliance's perspective, we need to be able to know when a "course" was assigned to a certain user (and when it should be due), and when that user actually "completed" that course.

However, this does not seem to be possible with Totara (I tested with 2.5.30, and 2.7.x). The new data source "Course Completion Including History" still only allow us to see the "course completion date", but not really the info when the course (program) was assigned, and when it should be due.

I know this is because of the way how Totara was designed with the "course" "program" and "certification". Is there a potential workaround for this? This is super important for us. Thanks!

me
Re: "Course" completion report (historical) with "program" assignment / due dates?
by George Angus - Tuesday, 8 September 2015, 9:02 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wen,

How are the learners being assigned?

cheers,

George.

Wen Hao Chuang
Re: "Course" completion report (historical) with "program" assignment / due dates?
by Wen Hao Chuang - Wednesday, 9 September 2015, 7:44 AM

Hi George,

Thanks for helping out. The learners are being assigned via "individual" assignment or "dynamic / set (static)" audiences, at the program (for one-time only type of training) level, or certification level (we started using "single-course" recurring certification just recently)..

I think we only have one training that was assigned to learners directly at the "course" level.

Thanks again!

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 13 September 2015, 9:49 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wen,

The report source "Program overview" will provide everything you need - in particular:

"Date assigned"

"Date due"

"Date completed"

"Date enrolled"

"Date started"

Hope this is useful,

Cheers,

George.