Best practice forum (Archived)

How does Certifications handle changes during a set period

Paul Lowndes
How does Certifications handle changes during a set period
by Paul Lowndes - Saturday, 10 October 2015, 2:45 AM
Group Most Helpful Contributor 2021

Hi 

I am using certifcations to validate learners who complete a set of 70 courses. Once a learner has completed all 70 their certifcation is valid for 2 years.

However if there are changes to a regulatations we may have to add a new course to cover this.

Does anyone have any experience of this scenario and advise on the best way of handling it in Totara using certifications? 

The new course would be added to the certifcation for new learners and I guess we could label it 1.1 to show this is the latest version of the same certification.

But how do we handle existing learners who have completed already completed the earlier version of the certification and are  validated.

They can can complete the new course as a one off but how will this impact on their certification.

In other words how does Certifcations handle changes in the business environment during the period between revalidation.

I hope this makes sense.

Does anyone have any experience of this scenario and advise on the best way of handling it i? 

Thanks

Paul

This forum post has been removed
Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 7:05 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Paul Lowndes
Re: How does Certifications handle changes during a set period
by Paul Lowndes - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 7:48 AM

Hi Jessica

No I didn't get any response.

My understanding is that new learners would have to complete the new course to complete the certification but existing certifcation holders would still show as complete until the revalidation window opened and that had to re-take all the courses. 

Can anyone else shed any light?

Thanks

Paul

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 1:16 PM
Group Totara

Hi Paul,

At present nothing happens to users already certified. When their window opens, they'll need to do the new courses.

The Completion editor tool (which arrives in February) will let you uncertify users, change completion dates etc. It will be available in all versions of Totara from 25 onwards.

It would be useful for our dev team to have some understanding of your requirements - How would you want changes to the Certification content to work? If a course is added to both cert paths, and the user is currently certified (window hasn't opened yet), what should happen? Should the user be put back into the primary path? When they complete the new course, should their new expiry date be calculated based on the new course completion date, or would you expect the old expiry date to appear?

cheers,

George.

Bob Schaefer
by Bob Schaefer - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 1:54 PM

Hi George,

In response to your question ,

"When they complete the new course, should their new expiry date be calculated based on the new course completion date, or would you expect the old expiry date to appear?"

In talking to our team, it would be really nice to have two options.

Option 1: Event Based - where the cycle (usually one year) starts after completion of a course.

Option 2: Fixed Date - where the completion cycle is a period of time (usually one year) - where the learner has to complete the course for 2016, for example.

Another example of Fixed date, for analogy, is the US Motor vehicle license plate registrations, where its the same month every year for the driver...

If we can only have one option - we'd vote for option 1.  ;-)

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 2:50 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bob.

I think you might have misunderstood the purpose of the questions. I'll explain with some examples:

When setting up your certification, you can currently choose a recertification expiry method. Your option 1 corresponds to "use completion date" and your option 2 corresponds to "use fixed expiry date".

Lets say your certification was set to "use completion date", with 1 year period, 2 month window period. A user completed the original set of courses on 1 Jan 2015 and is due to expiry 1 Jan 2016. It's now 1 Sept 2015 and you need to add a course to both certification paths. At this point, you could either say "ok, they're certified for now, let them do the new course when their window opens on 1 Nov 2015", or "they need to do the course now, because their certification has immediately become invalid". If they have to do it now, one way to achieve that is by putting them on the primary certification path and marking them uncertified. We'll assume that we will leave the already completed courses complete, rather than resetting them like the "window open" event does (although some clients might want to have them all reset). It's now 1 Oct 2015 and they complete the new course, thus having all requirements complete for primary certification. Because we've chosen "use completion date", a new expiry date is calculated as 1 Oct 2016. Sound ok? Or should their certification still be due to expire 1 Jan 2016?

What happens if the new course is only required on one of the certification paths? Say the two paths have quite different content, and the new course was only added to the recertification path. Compare two users, one who has just completed primary certification, the other has just recertified. The recertification has not opened for either. You now add the extra course to the recertification path. Should the recertified user be required to complete the new course, while the other user isn't? What state is the user in while they complete the extra course? They can't be marked uncertified, because they would be required to do the primary certification path courses. If their latest recertification was somehow reversed, to a point just before they recertified, then it might be that their expiry date has now passed and they would immediately expire, putting them on the primary certification path.

Another situation is when the new course is added to the primary certification path only: What happens to the certified/recertified users? I'll let you try to think this one through.

The "use fixed expiry date" method is in ways both more and less complicated. The way it calculates the next expiry date should be resilient to the unusual circumstances (I mean the dates should stay in rhythm regardless of what happens), but depending on the settings and timing, the expiry date could jump forward one whole active period unexpectedly (well, it's expected from the algorithm but not expected by the users).

The point I'm getting at is that it's a much more complicated problem than it seems at first glance. I'm not sure of the correct way to deal with most of these situations, and I'm sure there are a lot more relevant situations that I haven't thought of. I suspect that the answer will be different from client to client, so it's unlikely that a simple solution could be agreed upon. If we wanted to make any change to the behaviour, we'd have to have concrete and consistent solution to all these questions and more. Our current concrete and consistent solution is "do nothing when certification requirements are changed, let users do the new requirements when they are naturally required for certification or recertification".

Nathan

Paul Lowndes
by Paul Lowndes - Wednesday, 27 January 2016, 2:08 PM

Hi George 

Yes I agree . I think the user should be put back into the original path in this scenario.

It would be triggered by a new course being added to the certification. The context of this is a rapidly changing regulatory world which may require us to add new content to the certification before the re-certification window opens. 

In this context the old expiry date would still appear. This is because we use fixed periods (normally 2 years) to monitor compliance starting from when we first publish the courses to when they are all reviewed and updated 2 years later. We then require all colleagues to re-take the courses at the same time.

Its nor perfect but mirrors how it works in the previous paper-based world.

The only problem I envisage is new joiners starting a few weeks before the fixed end date and having to re-take all the courses again but its most practical approach overall for a big organisation.

Its also easier to manage compliance when everyone re-validates at the same time.

I hope this helps

Thanks

Paul

Wen Hao Chuang
by Wen Hao Chuang - Wednesday, 3 February 2016, 1:19 PM

Hi George,

Any update on the "Completion editor tool"? We can help out testing if it's in beta testing now. Thanks!