Best practice forum (Archived)

Dynamic Audience Issues

John Unnever
Dynamic Audience Issues
by John Unnever - Tuesday, 1 September 2015, 8:07 AM
Group Partners

Hi there,

If we have a audience setup as dynamic and uses a custom profile field to group people.  When we add a new user that has that profile field element that matches the audience, shouldn't they automatically be put into that audience?  Or do we have a bug?  Or is there a background job or something that runs on a schedule that would then find the user and add them?   

John Unnever
Re: Dynamic Audience Issues
by John Unnever - Tuesday, 1 September 2015, 8:20 AM
Group Partners

Secondly, when i set profile fields to required, it does not make them required when adding a user and it is hit and miss when editing a user if they are required, is this a bug?

Thirdly, under audiences > members, the position is not displaying, i have loaded positions and also assigned every user a position, what has to be done to get this field to display?

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 1 September 2015, 9:52 PM
Group Totara

Hi John,

The Audience will be updated upon the cron run - what version are you using - its possible to schedule specific tasks in 2.7. Can I ask what type of required field you are using as its very likely a default value has been supplied by Totara.

How exactly did you assign the users to a position?

cheers,

George.

John Unnever
by John Unnever - Friday, 4 September 2015, 8:15 AM
Group Partners
Hi George!

The required field is a custom field that we set up and no default value was given.

The positions are assigned thru the hr import.
John Unnever
by John Unnever - Thursday, 10 September 2015, 9:10 AM
Group Partners

Anybody got any ideas why the custom profile field that is set to required is not actually being required?

Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Thursday, 10 September 2015, 9:45 AM

Hi John,

In version 2.7.3 (I think) there was a bug that was causing the contains and the does not contains values to be reversed. This affected my installation in that all my audiences that depended on the menu item value would not work and actually added the wrong persons to the audience.

You may want to check your version and bounce it against the Totara LMS release notes forum and see if it is something that occurred in your version.

Peter

John Unnever
by John Unnever - Thursday, 10 September 2015, 10:09 AM
Group Partners

Hi Peter,  we are currently on the most recent release of 2.7.6, do you know if they knew about this bug in 2.7.3 and fixed it in the current build?

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Thursday, 10 September 2015, 3:24 PM
Group Totara

Hi John and others.

Required custom profile fields are only required to be entered when a user is editing their own profile. If an admin or manager or anyone other than the user are editing a user profile then required fields are not required. An admin editing their own record will be required to fill in all required fields.

The reasoning behind this design decision was that we don't want to enforce admins or managers from having to enter this information, when they may want to just set one specific field, and they might not even have the correct information. For example, a system admin might know nothing about individual staff members, but they need to enable the "HR Import?" setting for some users.

Nathan

John Unnever
by John Unnever - Friday, 11 September 2015, 7:58 AM
Group Partners

Nathan, thank you very much for the answer!  However, although it makes sense, in our case, we require that all fields we set to required be required all the time, even if an admin is editing the users profile.  Is there a way to make them required all the time for all users?

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Sunday, 13 September 2015, 3:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi John.

As far as I know, there's no alternative. I imagine that it would not be a large customisation to make. Or you can file a feature request.

Nathan