Best practice forum (Archived)

What happens when you remove a course from a program?

Patricia Arenas
What happens when you remove a course from a program?
by Patricia Arenas - Tuesday, 27 October 2015, 11:51 AM

Hi folks,

So our situation is that we have an ongoing program (ex. Program 1) with three courses. However we are revamping our training materials and I have been asked to remove one course from Program 1 and instead move it to a new Program (Program 2).

My question now is, what are the effects of removing just that one course from an active program? And follow up to that, what happens to the users who completed the program with the original three courses?

Thanks in advance for your insight!

-Trish

me
Re: What happens when you remove a course from a program?
by George Angus - Thursday, 29 October 2015, 6:50 PM
Group Totara

Hi Trish,

Say an audience A is enrolled in a program with two courses. Then a course is removed from the program and then audience B is enrolled.

The members of audience A will still have access to both courses via the Program enrolment plugin, but audience B will have access to only one. So changes to the program will only affect those enrolled into it after any edits.

Hope this is clear - please get back if you have any further queries.

regards,

George.

Patricia Arenas
by Patricia Arenas - Friday, 30 October 2015, 1:53 PM

Hi George,

Thanks for the input, however when I tested this I found that when I removed the course from the program, the users who had previously completed it were no longer able to see the deleted course. See below:

Original Program with 3 courses completed by user:

After removing the BRB course from the program, the user can no longer see the course:

Can you please advise?

BTW we are on Version 2.5.30 (Build: 20150818.00)

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 1 November 2015, 12:18 PM
Group Totara

Hi Patricia,

You are absolutely right, on further investigation this is the behaviour I found (in the latest version of 2.5):

I created three courses - 1,2, & 3. I used them as the content in a program.

I enrolled a Leaner into the program and then logged in as that Learner.

In the Learner's Required Learning there is the program with three courses.

As the Learner I completed course 1, and enrolled into course 2.

In the Learner's Required Learning there are now one completed and two uncompleted courses (2&3).

Then as admin I deleted course 2 and 3.

From the Learner's perspective the program is complete & now only has one (completed) course, however in the Learner's RoL (record of learning) they are still enrolled in course 2, but it is no longer in their required learning, and neither is the course in which they didn't enrol.

To sum up - if you edit the courses in a program, the user will still be enrolled in any courses they were enrolled in via the program before the edit - but any unenrolled ones will disappear. This means they will still be enrolled in courses they have started but no longer have to complete them. Any completed courses which are deleted from the program will still appear in the leaner's RoL.

If a Learner has completed a program before edits are made, their completion status will remain unaffected, and they will not have to complete any courses added to the program subsequent to their completion of it.

Thanks for highlighting this issue Patricia. I think if you were running a live site it would probably be best to avoid editing live programs - its a moot point as to whether a program with edited content is still the same program. It may be best just to create a new one.

If you have anything to add or have further comments - please don't hesitate to get back.

regards,

George.