Best practice forum (Archived)

What happens when you remove a course from a program?

me
Re: What happens when you remove a course from a program?
by George Angus - Sunday, 1 November 2015, 12:18 PM
Group Totara

Hi Patricia,

You are absolutely right, on further investigation this is the behaviour I found (in the latest version of 2.5):

I created three courses - 1,2, & 3. I used them as the content in a program.

I enrolled a Leaner into the program and then logged in as that Learner.

In the Learner's Required Learning there is the program with three courses.

As the Learner I completed course 1, and enrolled into course 2.

In the Learner's Required Learning there are now one completed and two uncompleted courses (2&3).

Then as admin I deleted course 2 and 3.

From the Learner's perspective the program is complete & now only has one (completed) course, however in the Learner's RoL (record of learning) they are still enrolled in course 2, but it is no longer in their required learning, and neither is the course in which they didn't enrol.

To sum up - if you edit the courses in a program, the user will still be enrolled in any courses they were enrolled in via the program before the edit - but any unenrolled ones will disappear. This means they will still be enrolled in courses they have started but no longer have to complete them. Any completed courses which are deleted from the program will still appear in the leaner's RoL.

If a Learner has completed a program before edits are made, their completion status will remain unaffected, and they will not have to complete any courses added to the program subsequent to their completion of it.

Thanks for highlighting this issue Patricia. I think if you were running a live site it would probably be best to avoid editing live programs - its a moot point as to whether a program with edited content is still the same program. It may be best just to create a new one.

If you have anything to add or have further comments - please don't hesitate to get back.

regards,

George.