Best practice forum (Archived)

F2F: set of sessions

Kai Niethammer
F2F: set of sessions
di Kai Niethammer - Friday, 28 August 2015, 02:07

Hi there,

I am curious to find out how to set this up:

I have one course that contains multiple events/sessions such as a kick-off meeting, classroom training and a follow-up session. All participant should stay together as a group. So if somebody picked a date for the kick-off he/she should stick to the group of participants and participate in the corresponding sessions for classroom and follow-up.

Is there any way to restrict single sessions to a group/grouping or to offer a set of sessions that may only be booked as a whole?

I really appreciate any approach how to solve this ...

Best regards,
Kai

Rickard Skiold
Re: F2F: set of sessions
di Rickard Skiold - Friday, 28 August 2015, 07:23

Hi Kai,

We've had the same request from customers, and just built a custom solution for this. The solution consists of a new enrollment plugin for group enrollment (based upon the Face-to-face Direct Enrollment plugin in 2.7), together with a modification in F2F which allows F2F-sessions to be assigned to different groups. 

Thereby it's possible for a learner to select a (group with a) set of sessions on the enrollment page, and thereby be automatically signed up for all assigned sessions. It's also possible for an admin to use default group functionality in order to sign up learners to a series of sessions.

Not sure if it's likely to be included in core Totara, but we could share the code on Totara's contrib repo if you'd be interested.

//Rickard

Russell Jackson
di Russell Jackson - Wednesday, 18 November 2015, 01:49

Rickard,

We have a similar problem although it involves multiple classes on the same day, and being able to mark attendance for all of the different sections of the course on a single screen rather than having to manager enrolment/booking and then attendance on each element of the course.

Would your solution allow this king of attendance taking?

Regards,

Russell

Rickard Skiold
di Rickard Skiold - Wednesday, 18 November 2015, 08:06

Hi Russel,

I'm not so sure that it would fit perfectly, as the attendance taking in our solution is as default, i.e., per session (not in a single screen for multiple sessions). Perhaps the Moodle Attendance plugin could be worth having a look at in your case (as an alternative to F2F)?

Regards,

//Rickard