Best practice forum (Archived)

Style Sheet Changes

Garrett Mills
Style Sheet Changes
by Garrett Mills - Thursday, 9 August 2012, 1:17 PM

Hi all,

Figured I would get this one out of the way as well. Is there a way to do Style Sheet changes within the GUI or does it require work on the back end?

Cheers,

Garrett 

Simon Coggins
Re: Style Sheet Changes
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 9 August 2012, 8:55 PM
Group Totara

Hi Garrett,

I can't think of a way in 1.1 but in 2.2 some themes have an option to add some custom styles which are applied along with the rest of the theme.

The "customisable totara" theme which will be appearing in 2.2 fairly soon will have this option.

Simon

Garrett Mills
by Garrett Mills - Friday, 10 August 2012, 12:41 PM

Cheers Simon!

So with 1.1 it's even impossible through the back-end?
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 12 August 2012, 1:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Garrett,

No, you could always change the stylesheets directly it's just there's no way to do it via the interface in 1.1.

If you are using the standard totara theme you'll find the CSS files in the  theme/totara/ folder.

Simon

Garrett Mills
by Garrett Mills - Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 9:52 AM

Thanks for the answer Simon.

My only follow-up question would be:
If we made changes to the style sheet would they all be overwritten with the upgrade to Totara 2.2?

Cheers,

Garrett 

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 14 August 2012, 1:27 PM
Group Totara

The way themes are built has completely changed between Totara 1.1 and 2.2, so your theme would need to be rewritten anyway to work in 2.2 at all.

If you're planning on upgrading to 2.2 soon I'd suggest waiting until you're on 2.2 before making the changes. You might find that the customisable theme is suitable for your needs and if not it will be easier to customise via additional css.

Simon