Best practice forum (Archived)

Deleting program completion records

Daniel Bond
Deleting program completion records
von Daniel Bond – Thursday, 30 June 2016, 3:22 AM
Gruppe Most helpful contributor 2023

When editing certification completion, if I remove all history for an unassigned user, that user disappears entirely from the certification report which is very useful if they shouldn't have been there in the first place. Unfortunately, the equivalent functionality doesn't seem to exist for non-recurring programs (which is the only type we have) and therefore it's impossible to remove them entirely. This messes up things like compliance reporting because the user will be incorrectly included in reports on Totara, either artificially boosting the number of completions or reducing the overall % completions.

Please could the ability to entirely remove a program completion record be added to the editor so that we can remove staff who should not have records.

Thanks

Dan

Nathan Lewis
Re: Deleting program completion records
von Nathan Lewis – Thursday, 30 June 2016, 2:56 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi Dan.

I can see what's happening here. When you unassign a user from a program, if they've completed the program, the prog completion record is kept, as proof that they completed it. We definitely don't want to automatically delete completed prog completion records when a user is unassigned, but I agree that we should have some way of removing these records manually.

Luckily, there is a patch coming soon which will tell you, within the completion editor, the reason(s) that a user is assigned. When it shows "A current completion record exists for this user and this program, however no current assignment details could be found", we could additionally have a button which lets you delete this record. This would probably need to be treated as an improvement and go through the prioritisation process.

I have discovered a work around you could use to remove the record:

1. Assign the user. An individual assignment is probably easiest. Make sure that deferred user assignments have been processed so that the user is properly assigned.
  2. Using the program completion editor, change their status from "Program complete" to "Program incomplete".
  3. Unassign the user. Make sure deferred user assignments are processed. The incomplete program completion record should be automatically deleted.

Nathan

me
von George Angus – Thursday, 30 June 2016, 5:03 PM
Gruppe Totara

Hi guys,

I've created an Improvement request, TL-9444, and posted on the Suggest Features forum for visibility & comment. 

cheers,

George.

Daniel Bond
von Daniel Bond – Friday, 1 July 2016, 2:21 AM
Gruppe Most helpful contributor 2023

Thanks for your reply, that worked brilliantly. For anyone else using this, definitely pay attention to making sure the assignments have been processed at each stage otherwise the workaround doesn't work.

I do like the idea of a button which lets you directly delete the record, seems much simpler (and thanks to George for adding it as an enhancement request), but in the short term this workaround is excellent.

Dan