Best practice forum (Archived)

Help Required: Certifications and multiple validity periods

Daniel Bond
Help Required: Certifications and multiple validity periods
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 30 June 2016, 7:12 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

The scenario:

All clinical staff must do resuscitation training. Usually you would complete an annual update which gives you 1 year of compliance, however if you attend an advanced resuscitation course you then have 3 year's compliance.

The problem:

Totara doesn't appear to offer any way to represent the above scenario. I can create a certification with an active period of 1 year, I can create a certification with an active period of 3 years. What I can't do is say "this course gives you 1 year, this course gives you 3".

Things I've thought about which don't work:

• Having an audience of everyone who's completed one of the advanced courses within 3 years and exclude them from the audience enrolled in the 1 year certification.
    Problem: I can't include the advanced courses in the 1 year certification (to reset their completion data) because the audience course completion rules only take into account current completions and not previous ones that have been archived as part of the certification process.
  • Creating two certifications, one for the 3 year training and 1 for the 1 year.
    Problem: There aren't two defined groups as to which course you are meant to do. Someone might do the 3 year one, then a couple of years of the annual ones and then go back to the 3 year. Can't use "has completed a 3 year course in the last 3 years" as audience membership criteria.
  • Create a program that completes when any of the 3 year courses have been completed. Use completion of the program within the last 3 years as a membership criteria for the 3 year audience (and to exclude people from the 1 year audience).
    Problem: If a user completes the 3 year course again, the program won't get a new completion date, and therefore the user won't get put back into the correct audience.

So, anyone got any bright ideas of how to work around this? I'm sure we can't be the only ones struggling with this issue and hopefully someone has found a clever way to solve it.

Thanks

Dan

Nathan Lewis
Re: Help Required: Certifications and multiple validity periods
by Nathan Lewis - Thursday, 30 June 2016, 8:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan.

You seem to have gone through the possibilities relating to audiences, which would have been my first thought.

Basically, I don't think there's a way to automate this currently. But anyone else is welcome to reply and suggest something.

There's a suggestion thread (which you've already participated in) which I think relates to this:

https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=19040

I think your scenario should be added into that suggestion/proposal and the solution will hopefully cover all possibilities. I've added a link in that thread and in our internal tracker linking to this thread. Internally, the idea is titled "Multiple certification paths", so I think this is applicable.

I tried to think up the most robust way to do this within the current processes. My semi-manual solution would be to have one certification, two course sets, course set rule "OR", 1 year courses in one course set, 3 year courses in the other course set, recertification period 1 year, then when someone completes the 3 year course set, a manager or administrator (whoever has access) can edit the certification completion record and manually change the expiry date (and window open date, if required) to three years. If learners know that they should have been granted 3 years certification, then it should be pretty obvious and they can contact the manager or admin to change the date if they see that it hasn't happened. I know it would be better if it's automated, but this might be better than nothing.

Nathan

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 30 June 2016, 8:47 PM
Group Totara

Hi,

Feature request TL-4935.

cheers,

George.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Friday, 8 July 2016, 1:18 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Excellent suggestion, thanks for that. Have actually put this in place and it seems to be working exactly as expected. My only regret is that the Certification upload tool doesn't allow you to manually set the expiry dates so I've now got to manually adjust hundreds of records, but I suspected this would be the case and it's still better than what I had before.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Dan