Best practice forum (Archived)

Checklist Mod

Peter Pappas
Checklist Mod
by Peter Pappas - Friday, 2 September 2016, 2:00 AM

Hi Folks,

Is anyone here using the checklist module as an evaluation (practical Exam) for courses?

It appears the checks in the checklist do not "reset" when the course is part of a certification and the certification window opens.

Does anyone have any recommendations for doing an observable measurement of a persons competency to complete a series of tasks?

Any feedback is welcome.

Thank you,

Peter

me
Re: Checklist Mod
by George Angus - Sunday, 4 September 2016, 9:31 PM
Group Totara

Hi Peter,

FYI the Checklist module is a third-party plugin - we don't support them.

cheers,

George

Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Sunday, 4 September 2016, 10:06 PM

Hi George,

I understand that third party modules are not supported.

What I am looking for is something that is part of Totara that will do similar functionality where teacher checks count toward completion versus a learners checks.

We have many recurring courses that require an instructors performance evaluation and would require a reset during renewal.

Some Ideas I know will work but do not seem like a complete solution:

Add a requirement that the trainer verify a list of certain steps before marking the person completely attended in a face to face session.

Adding an assignment upload document that captured the checks on paper first.

Add a teacher graded quiz that is restricted from the learner.

Remove the practical from the recurring requirement altogether and use some other form of check.

The assignment upload may be the direction we go in but it is a step backwards for us in that we wanted to capture everything in a totally digital environment.

Whichever method we choose it has to be able to reset with the renewal of certifications.

We have been using Totara on our live site for about 15 months and have only now discovered that the checklist mod does not reset when the window opens.

Thank you,

Peter

Peter Bulmer
by Peter Bulmer - Sunday, 4 September 2016, 9:50 PM
Group Partners

Hi PeterP

Have you looked at the CatalystIT-developed 'OnJobTraining' module?

Source: https://github.com/catalyst/totara-mod-ojt

Docs: https://github.com/catalyst/totara-mod-ojt/wiki

It supports in-the-field check-off of learning demonstrating skills.  Self assessment, witness, signoff.

Quite possibly meets your needs.  Totara 2.7 & Totara 2.9

Peter Pappas
by Peter Pappas - Sunday, 4 September 2016, 10:11 PM

Hello Peter,

Wow!

I wish I had known about that one last year. It seems to contain all the functionality I am looking for. Will it reset with certifications?

Thank you so much for your reply!

Peter

Peter Bulmer
by Peter Bulmer - Monday, 5 September 2016, 2:49 PM
Group Partners

Ah, I didn't understand that part of your post.  My bad.

Sorry, no, it doesn't currently reset with certification reset.  That would be a nice feature I agree.

We'd need a customer to fund that dev, I'm told that it'd probably be 1-2 days work, roughly 1000-2000 USD.

Or, a high quality pull request would be gladly reviewed if anyone has dev time, but no $.

Sorry for the bait & switch - it wasn't intentional.

Peterb

me
by George Angus - Monday, 5 September 2016, 5:24 PM
Group Totara

Hi folks,

I can submit a feature request for the functionality and try and gauge what sort of support it would have. Let me know what you think and any suggestions you may have.

cheers,

George.