Best practice forum (Archived)

Anyone using Totara as a customer-front-facing LMS for SaaS training?

Wen Hao Chuang
Anyone using Totara as a customer-front-facing LMS for SaaS training?
by Wen Hao Chuang - Wednesday, 5 October 2016, 4:11 PM

Dear all, long time no see!

For my previous LMS project, we had great success using Totara as a internal employee LMS training platform. I think Totara's strength is on "open-source (good for customization)," "compliances," "certifications," and "my reports."

Now I have another LMS project which I'm considering Totara as a potential candidate. This will be a customer-front-facing LMS for Software Training (which has very different goals and business requirements). For example, we are looking for Salesforce integration (two-way data flow), possible integration with Intaact for Rev Rec, annual subscription (similar to Lynda.com) with strong E-Commerce support, etc.

Is there anyone here using Totara for such context? If so, what is your experience? Thanks!

Wen Hao Chuang
Re: Anyone using Totara as a customer-front-facing LMS for SaaS training?
by Wen Hao Chuang - Wednesday, 5 October 2016, 4:19 PM

Oops. There was a typo. I meant Intacct (https://online.intacct.com) for Rev Rec (Revenue Recognition with our Finance team).
Joey Murison
by Joey Murison - Thursday, 6 October 2016, 8:41 AM
Group Partners

Hi Wen Hao, very interesting investigations that you are carrying out here. At Catalyst we are familiar with a number of solutions to e-commerce for Totara. These can range in function and complexity from a  simple plugin enabling course charging to a robust hybrid systems using Drupal, Magento or other E-Commerce front ends. In particular, the e-commerce Totara LMS platforms built with a CMS 'front end' such as Drupal will support many of the integrations that you require with readily available community plugins. Whilst the building of the hybrid environment will of course take time and careful consideration, we have seen great success with this solution.

The simpler option outlined above may be to use a service such as Course Merchant which does include a Moodle plugin that would probably be suitable for use on Totara. However, we have not tested this to date.

I am happy to share a discussion if you  wish to further understand what you are seeking to achieve.

Kind regards,

Joey

Wen Hao Chuang
by Wen Hao Chuang - Thursday, 20 October 2016, 5:21 PM

Hi Joey,

I sent you a private message. Yes we will be happy to share a discussion. Thanks!