Best practice forum (Archived)

Assigning Instructors without enrolling them

Susan Hurley
Assigning Instructors without enrolling them
by Susan Hurley - Tuesday, 8 November 2016, 1:32 PM
Group Partners

Hi, 

From my testing, it appears a user must be enrolled in a course to be assigned as an Instructor, even though I've set the role to be able to be assigned at the course level. 

The problem with this is that the courses then display in the Instructor's Record of Learning, which is not accurate. In my example, an Instructor can be assigned as an Instructor in 40 courses, but only needs to be a learner in 2. That means their RoL is displaying 42 courses, when in reality, they only need to complete 2. 

Is there any way around this?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks...Susan

me
Re: Assigning Instructors without enrolling them
by George Angus - Wednesday, 9 November 2016, 7:45 PM
Group Totara

Hi Susan,

We have a Feature Request for this functionality, TL-4484, which is being discussed currently. I wonder if a dynamic audience might be the way to do this, or a static audience - so you can assign a role & enroll the user into a course. Remove them from the audience and they are unenrolled from the course, and the record is removed.

cheers,

George.

Susan Hurley
Re: Assigning Instructors without enrolling them
by Susan Hurley - Thursday, 10 November 2016, 8:29 AM
Group Partners

Hi George, thanks for the reply. The issue is that we don't want the courses to appear in Record of Learning. If we use audiences, the user is enrolled in the course and it will appear in their RoL. 

The Instructor does not have to complete that learning - they are just instructing - so the course should not appear in their RoL as assigned. 

I've continued to play with this. It appears that we can assign the Instructor role at the Category or Course level using Users > Other users and the user is not enrolled. But to assign the Instructor only at the session level (not course or category), the user is enrolled. 

Thank you!

Susan