Totara Learn Open Discussions

Appraisal Question

John Unnever
Appraisal Question
by John Unnever - Friday, 3 March 2017, 1:36 PM
Group Partners

When creating an appraisal, if the template is set up to begin the appraisal process with the supervisor, the appraisal does not end up in the supervisor's bucket until the employee views the appraisal.  is there a configuration setting available that prevents this and automatically assigns the appraisal to the supervisor without the employee having to view the appraisal to start with.

Craig Eves
Re: Appraisal Question
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 5 March 2017, 5:45 PM
Group Totara

Hi John

That is correct the process starts with appraisee viewing their appraisal. I can't see a setting that changes this. I tried creating an appraisal with no users using dynamic appraisals and assigning the learners afterwards but this still required the appraisee to view the Appraisal to start the process.

I am not sure whether this is a common requirement so it would be good to get feedback.

regards

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Monday, 6 March 2017, 1:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi John.

You're on Totara 9, right? Now we have Job assignments, you need to specify which job assignment an appraisal will relate to. That choice is left to the learners. We thought that it didn't make sense to let the managers decide, because we'd have to show the appraisal to all managers, then once one manager was selected, the appraisal for that learner would disappear from all other managers' lists. If they chose a job assignment in which they were not the manager then it would disappear from their own list. It would all be a bit messy.

We also considered automatically assigning the job assignment when the user is assigned to the appraisal and if they only have one job assignment. But since it's possible that a second job assignment could be created before the learner starts their appraisal (or in case someone realises that the appropriate job assignment doesn't yet exist before the appraisal is started), we decided to not do this.

Nathan

John Unnever
by John Unnever - Monday, 6 March 2017, 1:29 PM
Group Partners

Yes we have moved to Totara 9.2.   We only have one job assignment per employee, and we want the appraisal to start with the supervisor, is there any way with 9.2 to make this happen?  It worked this way in 2.9.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 7 March 2017, 1:22 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

So, to clarify, if someone has two roles they are given the choice of which role the appraisal relates to rather than it being set on an administrative basis?!? We've been looking at the potential of moving to version 9, but I would consider that change of functionality potentially a show-stopper if I've understood correctly.

Dan

Jani Lemmetyinen
by Jani Lemmetyinen - Friday, 12 January 2018, 3:05 AM

Hi,

In some of our client organisations, the appraising process is rather manager-driven than employee-driven. On e.g. factory work, it is a common situation that there are lot employees who don't have PC or any device of their own and therefore appraisal process should be started by their manager. Currently managers are unable to do this and this is therefore critical to client.

Therefore it would essential that appraisal form will be visible to manager right after it has been assigned to learners. 

Current behaviour is OK if multiple job assignments are in use - I understand arguments posted in this thread - but if multiple job assignment feature is switched off at the system level then I suggest appraisal should be visible (by default) to manager, manager's manager and appraiser right after it has been assigned.

Cheers,

Jani

Mark Carey
by Mark Carey - Wednesday, 12 February 2020, 6:51 PM
Group Partners

We certainly have use cases where either the manager or the appraisee should be able to start the process (Totara 10 but I don't think it's changed).

Mark Carey
by Mark Carey - Wednesday, 12 February 2020, 7:01 PM
Group Partners

Actually it has changed as per https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=19175#p91500