Best practice forum (Archived)

Any LMS training available?

Melinda Black
Any LMS training available?
by Melinda Black - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 7:07 PM

Our team is relatively new to using our Totara LMS. We would love to attend some webinar sessions, especially on grading, program and certification management. Thx

me
Re: Any LMS training available?
by George Angus - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 8:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Melinda,

We have a large  resource of training videos & webinars here, on our youtube channel. It's updated with video guides and webinars on the latest functionality regularly.

There's also our Totara Academy:

'The Totara Academy offers Totara Partners and subscribers a range of training materials, courses and certification programs to become certified in their knowledge of Totara Learning products. As well as this, the Academy offers self-paced courses with resources that allow new Totara users to get up to speed on Totara site administration and training.'

Both of these resources are completely free. We are in the process of upgrading the Academy and have a dedicated team working to improve and extend the range of material we have available.

I think if you need any specific training tailored to your particular install the approaching your Totara partner would be the way forward.

cheers,

George.

Melinda Black
by Melinda Black - Tuesday, 9 May 2017, 9:52 PM

Fantastic, I will check out the YouTube videos and the Academy courses. Thanks George :)

Rachel Griffith-Boyes
by Rachel Griffith-Boyes - Wednesday, 10 May 2017, 1:10 AM
Group Totara
Hi Melinda,

Just to follow up George's post, I'm part of the Academy team working on redeveloping and extending what we currently offer through the Totara Academy. The good news is that a course on Programs and Certifications is one of our priority courses which we're currently working on, and which should be released later this year. There's already some training on these areas in the Administrator Certification on the current Academy which will hopefully be a good starting point for you and your team. 

Thanks

Rachel 

nate's standard profile pic
by Nate Marshall - Friday, 26 May 2017, 6:15 AM

I'm going to steal the thread for a second for a related question. 

Our people are taking the CCC( course but is there anything planned or already in place for learners to use. We have been trying to get some things together. but there are some gaps for our people all of whom are not very tech oriented. 

Rachel Griffith-Boyes
by Rachel Griffith-Boyes - Thursday, 1 June 2017, 6:34 AM
Group Totara

Hi Nate,

We don't currently offer any learner training through the Totara Academy, although I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the kinds of things you think your learners would find helpful so it's something we can consider adding to our plans. Did you have anything specific in mind? 

Your Totara Partner may be able to help with training resources in the meantime. 

Thanks

Rachel 

nate's standard profile pic
by Nate Marshall - Thursday, 1 June 2017, 6:55 AM

What we are doing is a series of short "quick guides" in the form of 2 min videos and PDFs

Topics for the learners are:

• Your first login - 
    • how to change your password
    • how to recover your password
  • Updating your profile
  • Finding a course and enrolling
    • Different way to find courses you aren't enrolled in yet
    • Viewing programs and certifications
  • Signing up for a seminar event
  • Seeing your current schedule
    • Calendar, My Calendar, Upcoming events etc
  • Managers - How to see your team and how to use standard reports
  • Assessors - Taking attendance and printing sign in sheets

There are a few more that I'll have figured by the end of the day as we are doing our first live training for our coordinators and trainers and consultants today. 

After that we have some extra things we are building along the lines of an in-depth style guide (appearance, accessibility, responsibilities, quality control process etc.) for all of our trainers and content creators. obviously this will be unique for each company but much of it is universal. 

Rachel Griffith-Boyes
by Rachel Griffith-Boyes - Tuesday, 6 June 2017, 6:35 AM
Group Totara

This sounds fantastic! I really like this as an idea, and it's definitely something we would consider developing for the Academy in future. I suppose one challenge we have is that all sites look a bit different, and learners will likely benefit most from training on their specific site, rather than the kind of generic training we're able to provide. I've added this to our ideas backlog to think about though, thanks for the prompt and for sharing your ideas.

Rachel 

Christina Morejon
by Christina Morejon - Friday, 28 September 2018, 12:42 PM

Just to jump in here.  i was hoping to use User Tours to display these short informative learner trainings that you were discussing.  Unfortunately, have not been able to set them up correctly.  Im using 10 soon to be upgraded to 11 but we have been having lots of issues getting User Tours to work correctly so we de prioritized it.   

Anyone else successfully using User Tours to train learners?  would love to hear from you.

thanks.

Christina 

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 30 September 2018, 5:18 PM
Group Totara

Hi Christina

We only have one or two reported bugs with user tours that prevent them running- can you open a helpdesk ticket so we can investigate and fix.

There is a bug TL-17755 fixed in the recent August release where User tours are not displayed if the Site administration block is hidden in the dashboard - does this sound like it could be the issue with your site?

Regards

Rachel Griffith-Boyes
by Rachel Griffith-Boyes - Monday, 1 October 2018, 1:30 AM
Group Totara

Hi Christina,

Just in case it's useful - we have a user tour working on the Totara Community site if you'd like to see one in action. You'll see it when you access the main Community dashboard https://totara.community. 

Thanks

Rachel