Best practice forum (Archived)

Role Assignment Question

John Unnever
Role Assignment Question
by John Unnever - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 8:36 AM
Group Partners

Hello, 

We were trying to get a better understanding of how roles are assigned to users in the context of courses and had a little trouble grasping it.   We wanted to assign a user as being the Trainer(role) of a certain course but couldn't figure out how.   It wasn't until i tried to manually Enroll that user in the course before i could then also apply the role of trainer to them for that course.   Is that the proper way of assigning a trainer to a course? They must first be enrolled in the course themselves to get that role?

me
Re: Role Assignment Question
by George Angus - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 4:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi John,

The default role for manual enrollment is Learner, but only because its at the top of the dropdown list under 'Assign roles' in the Enrol users popup. Are you using the Assign roles icon on the Enrolled users page?

cheers,

George.

John Unnever
by John Unnever - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 6:47 PM
Group Partners

Yes, that was the only way i saw how to add a Trainer to the course.. was to enroll them manually and on that screen it allowed me a drop down menu to select the trainer role.  Is that the proper way?  We were just a little thrown off not thinking that a trainer would need to be enrolled in the course in order to become the trainer of the course.

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 3 May 2017, 7:59 PM
Group Totara

Hi John,

For that role you need to be enrolled before you can do anything in the course. 

cheers,

George.