Best practice forum (Archived)

editing trainer or trainer without enrolling

nate's standard profile pic
editing trainer or trainer without enrolling
by Nate Marshall - Tuesday, 18 July 2017, 2:09 PM

Hi Folks, (George and Craig you're heroes BTW)

Back again with a last question for the night.

I have a role that we do not want to set system wide. we only want to set it category wide. however the poor coordinators that manage all these courses end up with 200-300 courses clogging up their "current learning" block.  I can get around this by setting them system wide however if they touch a course they are asked to enroll. this means to get to their learning is a completely different category they have to sift through those courses and it makes that block useless. Any ideas?

Also as a system wide editor if I add an event to a seminar or add a date to an event I will have the course show up on my "current learning" even though I have not actually enrolled in the course and do not show on the enrollment list. 

Interesting huh? 

Craig Eves
Re: editing trainer or trainer without enrolling
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 18 July 2017, 7:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nate

There is a permission View course without participation that you can allow in the role - this will mean the course can be viewed without having to enrol in the course.

Alternatively have you tried using Audience visibility and adding the users to an audience and making course visible to audience and enrolled users - I am not sure of what you want to see but this setting makes courses disappear from view.

I tried adding the view course without participation to Editing Trainer and adding an Event and this didn't show up on the Current Learning block as the Editing Trainer isn't enrolled on the course.

Let me know how this goes.

regards

nate's standard profile pic
Re: editing trainer or trainer without enrolling
by Nate Marshall - Wednesday, 19 July 2017, 6:50 AM

Yup that seems to actually do what it should. It must be just them adding events that is causing the events to show up in current learning. Our coordinators kept saying they had to enroll...possibly they mean they were signing up for the event as well. 

Regardless a partial event shows if you create one and don't sign-up for it. George said he opened a ticket for that though so eventually it will not be a problem. 

Thanks!