Best practice forum (Archived)

Tracking competencies, not courses

Tim Newham
Tracking competencies, not courses
by Tim Newham - Monday, 14 November 2011, 7:16 AM
Group Partners

Hi all,

I need to track whether employees are competent in fire safety. I have 3 ways of delivering learning: completion of a quiz (with achievement of a certain grade), completion of an e-learning module, completion of a face to face training course.

I have a competency in Totara called "Fire safety".

Now, I want to find a way to automatically set this competency to "achieved" (i.e. "competent") whenever a learner completes any of the learning delivery mechanisms (sorry for slightly tortous language here, I'm trying to avoid the use of the word "competence" out of context).

I then also want to run a report showing all staff who are not competent (and I'm struggling with this too, because I can't seem to select a "competent yes/no" field as a filter field).

The purpose of all this is to get a single report showing competence (and more importantly lack of competence) in fire safety, rather than having to run a report per each of the 3 courses and try and spot people who aren't on any of the completion lists.

I also have some subtleties like a need to refresh the competency each year, but one thing at a time!

Any thoughts, anyone? Is this one a feature request or a training need for me?

Tim

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 14 November 2011, 8:31 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Monday, 14 November 2011, 9:08 AM
Tim Newham
Re: Tracking competencies, not courses
by Tim Newham - Monday, 14 November 2011, 9:30 AM
Group Partners

Amir, thank you very much - for this and also the reporting post.

I think the missing bit for me is how to do this step:

• Set a "Fire Safety" competency to be achieved upon this course completion

So this is me now in "asking for help" mode - I must be doing something wrong because course completion isn't triggering competency achievement. Do let me know if this sort of question is better posted elsewhere (including RTFM!). Some things I've done:

1) under course completion settings I have "activities completed - fire safety quiz" ticked (the course has just 1 resource, which is a quiz with 5 questions each worth 1 mark. The course is of type "topics format" with just 1 topic).

2) On the same page, I have "grade" enabled with pass mark 4 (total points available = 5, remember)

3) Under "competencies used in course" I have my "Fire safey" competency linked (link type mandatory).

Other way of making the same request for help - does anyone have a step by step way of showing how a competency can be achieved on course completion?

Thanks very much, again,

Tim

Monday, 14 November 2011, 9:44 AM
Tim Newham
by Tim Newham - Monday, 14 November 2011, 9:55 AM
Group Partners

Ahhh cron not running. Newbie error. Sorry and thanks.

Tim

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 14 November 2011, 1:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tim

It sounds like you can assign competencies to courses and set the completion of activities as required , thanks to Amir's advice.

If you want to extend this a bit further in the case where one set of competencies (course) has to passed before another is able to be enroled in then a program can be set up that controls the order of courses.

See http://help.totaralms.com/Creating_Editing_a_Program.htm for how to do this.

Craig

Monday, 14 November 2011, 10:13 AM