Best practice forum (Archived)

setting a position

John Roughley
setting a position
by John Roughley - Friday, 27 May 2011, 3:19 AM

How can a Learner set their own position?

I've looked at the Learner role and allowed Assign self, Assign user, Update and View and it doesnt seem to work. What capabilities should I be using?

Craig Eves
Re: setting a position
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 29 May 2011, 2:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi John

The settings you need to allow are Assign self and Assign user having just one allowed doesn't seem to work - I thought just selecting Assign self should work but as you say it didn't.

Craig

This forum post has been removed
Sunday, 29 May 2011, 9:15 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 30 May 2011, 2:28 PM
Group Totara

Thanks Aaron for checking this out.

By setting the allow assign self position for the authenticated user role wouldn't this allow this for all logged in users regardless of their role .

John was wanting to allow this for one particular role. In an organisation it might not be good to allow self assignment of positions to everyone especially if there are some competencies or courses linked to positions.

Craig

Monday, 30 May 2011, 3:45 PM
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 30 May 2011, 5:24 PM
Group Totara

Sorry for drawing this out Aaron - we are getting closer though.

Assigning a learner role at site level wouldn't be a good idea either as the user  would be able to access courses they are not enrolled in.

Would creating a role at site level that only allows assignment of self positions and then assigning a learner role at course level and assigning a person to both roles be the way around this or am I needlessly complicating things where one custom role would do the trick.

Craig

Monday, 30 May 2011, 6:04 PM