Best practice forum (Archived)

How to enable My Team Tab

Bodo Hoenen
How to enable My Team Tab
by Bodo Hoenen - Monday, 11 July 2011, 9:53 AM

Good day all

I am struggling to find out how to display the "My team" tab to a manager when logged in. We have changed the roles slightly and renamed them, but I am using the role that previously was the manager role on a user to test and do not get the tab. Is there a permission setting that needs to be changed?

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 11 July 2011, 12:44 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Tuesday, 12 July 2011, 1:26 AM
Bodo Hoenen
Re: How to enable My Team Tab
by Bodo Hoenen - Tuesday, 12 July 2011, 10:42 AM

Hi Dani

i can assign positions and organisations but when i try assign a manager and click save it saves the other settings but not the manager setting. any idears (attached is a screen shot)

Thank you

Bodo

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 12 July 2011, 3:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo

It seems strange you can assign a manager but not update the manager.

There is a role setting update a position that could be set to Prevent which may have caused this but this is unlikely to have been changed from the standard admin settings.

Craig

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Wednesday, 13 July 2011, 1:08 PM

Hi Craig

I have checked those permissions and they are correct (set to allowed)

but to come back to your first comment "It seems strange you can assign a manager but not update the manager." its not allowing me to assign the manager at all,

1. I click on choose manager
  2. another page openes up and I then select manager from list of accounts
  3. I click ok
  4. I am brought back to the position page and can see the name of the account i selected as being the manager
  5. I then click on update position, to save the changes
  6. the page refreshes, but the manager is blank again

Thursday, 14 July 2011, 1:00 AM
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 19 July 2011, 3:50 AM
Group Totara

It's to do with the way the data is organised in Totara - you assign a user to a position then assign the manager and organisation to the position too, so without the position there is no "container" for the data.

This has certain advantages but also limits the flexibility. We would like to provide other ways of organising this at some point, but it does add quite a bit of complexity to a number of other areas so we may not get to it for a while.

Until then, creating a dummy position is the best workaround.

Simon

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 14 July 2011, 1:00 AM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

It sounds like there is a problem saving the manager relationship. Could you try turning debugging on:

Click Site Admin > Server > Debugging

Set the debugging level to the highest 'Developer', and also check the display errors on page.

Then repeat the manager assignment and see if anything shows on the screen. It might just flash up briefly. If you have access, you could also check your server's error logs for any messages.

Simon

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Friday, 15 July 2011, 10:51 AM

Hi Simon,

Ive turned on debugging but im not sure what this is refering to: Ive attached a screen shot of the message, its saying Role ID not provided and then some additional messages. in the main window it says: error output, so disabling automaitc redirect. after i click on continue im brought back to the edit position screen and the manager is not saved.

Bodo

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Friday, 15 July 2011, 4:46 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

That's very useful - should give us enough information to figure out why it's not working. We'll look into it on Monday.

One initial thought I had - can you confirm if you have a role with a 'shortname' of 'manager'?

It is set up by default in Totara but you may have deleted or renamed it. That may cause the issue you're seeing.

Thanks,

Simon

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Monday, 18 July 2011, 5:41 AM

Hi Simon,

Great, I have changed the shortname back to manager and its worked.

Thank you all for your support.

On this note however, are there any other shortnames i should avoid changing?

Regards

Bodo

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 19 July 2011, 3:46 AM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

Not that I can think of, but we will do a full assessment to look for other roles with this issue and see how we can improve this.

We'll see if we can lock the required role shortnames, or at least warn you if you go to change them!

Simon

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 19 July 2011, 1:32 PM
Group Totara

Hi Simon

There is the assessor role that may be like this too.

If people are using different languages they would probably want to change the short name of roles so locking these if they are used for processes would be a good idea.

Craig