Best practice forum (Archived)

Gargantuan Log File

Vikram Solia
Gargantuan Log File
by Vikram Solia - Tuesday, 12 July 2011, 2:36 AM

Hi there,

Received a message from my managed hosting provider that my disk was filling up. Seems like Totara has created a gargantuan log file of 44 GB. Actually, was created in the previous version and was still lying there.

Just deleted it.  Any way to turn this off from the interface.

Thanks in advance!

Craig Eves
Re: Gargantuan Log File
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 14 July 2011, 8:30 PM
Group Totara

Hi Vikram

To change how long logs are kept for you can go to Site Administration > Server > Cleanup > keep logs for.

The default is never delete logs which can be reduced.

The following advice is given

"It is best to keep logs as long as possible, in case you need them, but if you have a very busy server and are experiencing performance problems, then you may want to lower the log lifetime. Values lower than 30 are not recommended because statistics may not work properly."

So you should only consider reducing the time to keep logs if there is a performance problem with Totara.

I don't know why your log files are so large, was this a large site that had stats enabled and has been going for several years?

regards

Craig

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Friday, 22 July 2011, 4:02 AM
Group Totara

Hi Vikram,

Can you clarify if the logs were moodle site logs (stored in the database), server logs, or something else? What was the location of the log file?

Totara doesn't normally generate such big files so something must have gone wrong - perhaps your site was producing a regular error that was filling up the logs.

Can you provide a sample of part of the log?

Simon

Vikram Solia
by Vikram Solia - Tuesday, 26 July 2011, 7:44 PM

Hi Craig,

The big file I refer was not stored in the database but appeared to be some sort log file.

We got rid of it as soon as we saw it as it was occupying 44 GB :(