Best practice forum (Archived)

Reports - Learner View

Kathy Dick
Reports - Learner View
by Kathy Dick - Wednesday, 10 August 2011, 9:20 AM

I can't find any documentation about enabling reports for learners.

I set up a test learner and completed a course as that learner. I have set the permissions for the learner role to view their own grade reports but when I click the reports menu item (logged in as the learner) I get an error message that says I don't have access to reports. I can't find any other setting that would allow the user to view reports that doesn't allow them to view data for other users.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Kathy

Craig Eves
Re: Reports - Learner View
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 11 August 2011, 3:15 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kathy

The grader report is available to a learner from the course administration menu rather than the My Reports tab which shows reports available to the user from the Report Builder

To make a report available via the My reports tab for a report created with the Report builder select

Site Admin > Reports > Report Builder > Manage Reports

Select the Access  tab select the Learner role (and role in any context)

Also check the Content tab and select Show records based on the user and a users own records.

For a detailed description of the settings available go to http://help.totaralms.com/Report_settings.htm

This will let you create customised reports that are displayed in the My reports tab based on the persons roles or other things such as position.

Having said all that I did try to allow the setting the view own grades for the learner role . I  clicked on the Grades link in the course admin and this didn't work . The message was that I wasn't allowed to view other users records. This was using the demo site , I'll try and figure out why this happened.

Craig

Kathy Dick
by Kathy Dick - Thursday, 11 August 2011, 3:26 PM

Thanks, Craig. It wasn't clear to me that the reports tab would only pull reports created with the report builder. I'll play around with that and see if I can understand how it works.

I appreciate your help.

Kathy

Kathy Dick
by Kathy Dick - Thursday, 11 August 2011, 3:51 PM

Well I created a report and  think I've configured it correctly that users will only see their own data but I still get this error message:

You do not have any reports. Report access is configured by your site administrator. If you are expecting to see a report, ask them to check the access permissions on the report.

I don't know exactly what to set in the permissions to allow users to see these reports. Can you tell me now how to configure the permissions?

Thanks
Kathy

Kathy Dick
by Kathy Dick - Thursday, 11 August 2011, 3:58 PM

So sorry - I had both administrator and learner selected in the list of who should view and once I de-selected administrator it worked.

Thanks again for your help, Craig.

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 11 August 2011, 4:42 PM
Group Totara

Glad you have got it working.

It is possible to select more than one role for the access for the report - it may have been some other reason that was preventing this from showing.

The report builder is good at providing site wide info rather than the course based info of existing reports such as the Grader report.

Craig

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 11 August 2011, 10:42 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kathy,

As Craig said you should be able to have multiple roles selected, so you may have found a bug! I'll see if I can replicate that error and put together a fix. Thanks!

Simon

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 18 August 2011, 8:13 PM
Group Totara

I've take a look at this and although I couldn't find a bug I think I may know what happened.

When assigning access to the report via the 'Access' tab, the settings let you pick which role(s) can view the report. By default the user must be assigned the role in the *site* context, whereas typically a learner is given the learner role in a course context. The admin on the other hand usually has their role in the site context.

To make it work for you, either change the pulldown to include users with the role in any context or assign the users to the learner role in the site context.

Simon

Kathy Dick
by Kathy Dick - Friday, 19 August 2011, 11:03 AM

Thanks, Simon. I may not have had role in any context selected. Seems to work fine now.

Kathy
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 14 August 2011, 7:35 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kathy

In answer to my question below on Friday.

I tried this today and it worked.  Possibly the Learner role wasn't assigned properly or the role was being overridden, its hard to tell as the demo site has been reset since Friday.

Under standard settings this works - the only other thing that needs to be checked is the Course settings select Show gradebook to students as Yes.

I did try to allow the setting the view own grades for the learner role . I  clicked on the Grades link in the course admin and this didn't work . The message was that I wasn't allowed to view other users records. This was using the demo site , I'll try and figure out why this happened.

Craig