Best practice forum (Archived)

Create 'Trainer only' course/category

? ?
Create 'Trainer only' course/category
by ? ? - Wednesday, 7 September 2011, 1:07 AM

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to restrict/create a 'Trainers only' course or category? I'm creating some course desgined for trainers on our LMS on how to edit/mark courses etc.

Ideally I would like it so that only people with a Trainer role can view these courses. Is there a way of restricting this course using permissions apart from individually assigning all users as a trainer in the course?

thanks

-Ira

? ?
Re: Create 'Trainer only' course/category
by ? ? - Wednesday, 7 September 2011, 6:14 AM

Hello Ira,

A couple of thoughts:

1. Perhaps just apply an enrolment key in the Course settings and share this by mail with Trainers? This key could be shareable by them of course, if that is a risk for non trainers seeing it.

2. Create a Category - e.g Trainers resources

Assign Roles of Trainers. This will apply to any courses then created in this category.

In course settings:

• Default role: Trainer
  • Course enrolable: Check the No box
  • Availability: This course is not available to students (if left as available they will get a message that they can't access it at the moment)
  • Guest Access: Do not allow guests in

See if either of those suit your needs.

Regards,
Andy

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 7 September 2011, 4:40 PM

Both of your methods sound like a good solution.

Method 1 - will save me individually asigning roles of trainers when new people become them.

Method 2 - I still need to assing trainer roles to individuals at the category level, yes?

Cheers

-Ira

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 7 September 2011, 4:55 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Ira

For method 2, the Course Creators assign their own Trainers at the course level. Then when the course is approved and moves to an appropriate live category the permissions remain intact.

Cheers

Austen

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 7 September 2011, 4:20 PM

Hi Ira

We're been here too. So here's another option to consider:

1. A Course Development category.  Which staff can see and you assign the course creator rights to. 

Containing;

1. 'Piloting' sub-category.  Which is visible to staff.
    2. various development sub-categories - which are not visible to staff.

We then add our pages on how to get course approval into the Piloting sub-category and our various 'How-to' pages are in there as well.

We have removed the perission to move courses between Categoies - which is how we enforce our course approval process!

We have a trainers course page and a customisation where adding the Course Creator right (anywhere in the site) initaites; enroling the staff member in the trainers page (whcih we then use to spam them via a force subscribed forum) and a welcome email that introduces them to; their new editing rights, where to create courses, where to get support, and why they will now receive emails about the LMS.

Cheers

Austen

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 7 September 2011, 5:03 PM

Hi,

I don't understand the last part you have in place with the Customisation, can you explain it further?

thanks,

-Ira

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Wednesday, 7 September 2011, 5:41 PM

Hi Ira

The customisation is at the role assignment stage.  In the attached screen shot so you see our 'define roles' page for the Course Creator role.

It has three new items:

• Send Welcome email (only sent on first assigned of thsi roel anywhere in the site)
  • Subject line
  • Message body.

We do a similiar thing for 'Trainers' - particularly as we can't be sure of the quaility of information they get from new Course Creators.

Cheers

Austen