Best practice forum (Archived)

SCORM reporting

Craig Eves
SCORM reporting
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 11 September 2011, 3:21 PM
Group Totara

I have received the following question from a subscriber that I need help on answering - I am unsure what can be done in Totara and what could be done in the Report Builder

Still I am trouble with SCORM Usage Report.
We have the following track details for SCORM ( like those on image).

track.jpg

1 - From this Track details how we can get the time spend by the student on each screen ? (can you please provide some documentation regarding attributes,elements and values)

This data is not currently accessible in the grader reports or the report builder -but it is being stored in Totara. Is this best to process with the SCORM package or through Totara.

2 - From this Track details how we can get the time spend by the student on each units ?

It looks like the cmi.interactions variable holds this data.

3 - Kindly update me how it is possible to present this data along with the track details.

This would need probably need to be able to be accessed through the report builder in Totara

4 - Is it possible to create a exportable report ?

Yes there is a SCORM data source in the report builder that currently has the following fields

Title, Start Time, Starting time, Total time , max score, min score, attempt number

Another field would need to be added to the data source if possible based on the cmi.interactions field.

5 - does the totara system tracking this details on database, like how many time student spent on each screen / units ?

This looks as though it is being stored but needs to be made available to the Report Builder.

Craig Eves
Re: SCORM reporting
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 13 September 2011, 2:49 PM
Group Totara

Sorry for the lack of response - I'll try and give some guidance on whats required based on my research.

I have found out a bit more about the SCORM data and how this could be reported on.

Totara stores course data in an XML file - you can see the data that is stored by doing a backup of the course with just the SCORM selected.

Data in an XML file can be queried and output as an html file through the use of a language such as XQUERY

For details on XQUERY language http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/XQuery

So someone with experience in querying XML files would be required.

Craig

This forum post has been removed
Tuesday, 13 September 2011, 10:25 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 14 September 2011, 5:24 PM
Group Totara

Hi Shameer

It is in the course backup file on Totara

Craig

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 19 September 2011, 4:15 PM
Group Totara

Can we track how much time a student has spent/dedicated on a particular screen in Moodle LMS?
Note : In my current case we should create the full course content with a single SCO.
So the entire SCORM package should contain only single SCO .
The SCORM may contain some pages/multiple choice quizzes/flash video/slides..,
But all should be part of single SCO.

In this case how can I track how much time a student spent on each screen of the SCORM.

Since we needs to make sure that the student had gone through each and every screen of SCORM and how much time spent on each screen.

If it is recording in database, on which table ?
If it is recording in file, which the location and name of file ?

An immediate response is appreciated.

Thanks and regards
Shameer Puthuppalli

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 19 September 2011, 4:49 PM
Group Totara

All data that comes from the scorm package is stored in the scorm_scoes_track table.

The first four fields userid, scormid, scoid and attempt identify exactly what was being attempted. The element and value fields contain key/value pairs of data for that attempt.

The exact data stored will depend on the scorm package itself, but some element settings that may be of interest are 'cmi.core.total_time' and 'x.starttime'.

If you need the time spent on each page, I think 'cmi.interactions_X.time' may be what you need.

Currently the Totara report builder source only displays summary information, so will not report at that level of detail. You will need to access the database directly to extract what you need.

Simon

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 19 September 2011, 11:24 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 20 September 2011, 2:53 AM
Group Totara

> But I didnt found any entry which is corresponding for access details of each and every page.
> So are you thinking that this has to done from SCORM pacage side?

Yes, if the data isn't sent by the SCORM package then there's not much that can be done in Totara.

> 1 - Is there any option to track at least totally how much time a student spent on entire scorm.

I think that's what 'cmi.core.total_time' does.

> 2 - Is there any option to track how much percentage of entire content the student coverd ?

Again I think the SCORM package has to be configured to save that information - if there is nothing in scorm_scoes_track then that data isn't being saved.

Simon