Best practice forum (Archived)

'Managers' having some (limited) Admin permissions

? ?
'Managers' having some (limited) Admin permissions
by ? ? - Thursday, 12 January 2012, 11:37 PM

Hi there

Can we in some way give limited (eg. to create and manage Learners) 'admin' access to a client which allows them to 'Manage' only their cohort of students in their organisatonal hierarchy rather the entire system ??  

This is particularly important in a multi-tenant set-up

If not, what options do we have ??

Simon Coggins
Re: 'Managers' having some (limited) Admin permissions
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 15 January 2012, 3:19 PM
Group Totara

Hi Martin,

By 'manage' can you give some specific examples of what you would like them to be able to do?

It's not something that's really possible at the moment, but we are interested in offering more fine-grained control over permissions so it would be good to get some use-cases.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 16 January 2012, 12:51 AM

Hi Simon

Ok we have an HR Manger (with the Role of Manager) from an Organsiation. on a multi-tenant Totara set-up.  They not only want to access

• Reports on their staff etc etc but also
  • want to manage their cohort of Leaners (ie. Create, Suspend etc etc)

In principle therefore they wouild need the Role of Adminstrator.  Do you agree? However, if they had that Role too they would then have sight and be able to manager ALL Accounts and not ony those from thier own organisations?

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 25 January 2012, 6:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi Martin,

I'm afraid that I don't think this is currently possible. The way that user permissions are currently designed doesn't give us the flexibility to give control to separate groups like that.

I do think it would be a useful feature, and I know Moodle is working on multi-tenacy for 2.3 or 2.4 but we're not there quite yet I'm afraid.

Simon