Best practice forum (Archived)

Waitlisted sessions

Wouter Maenhout
Waitlisted sessions
by Wouter Maenhout - Thursday, 9 February 2012, 9:10 AM
Group Partners

Hi,

If a person signs up for a waitlisted session, he will receive a notice via email. Does the manager (n+1) also receive a notification via email?

If an approval flow has been defined for this waitlisted session, is the approval mail already being sent out to the n+1 while the face to face session is still waitlisted? Or does that only happen when the face to face changes from waitlisted to date/time known?

Thank you for your feedback!

Kind regards,

Wouter

Craig Eves
Re: Waitlisted sessions
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 9 February 2012, 3:39 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wouter

The face to face settings does have a send notice to manager for a few of the message types.

There isn't an option for this on the wait-listed message type. There is a box to Notify third-party about wait listed sessions. This would send to everyone on the list rather than the direct manager - this would work if there was only one manager for the face to face.

A request message does have the option to be sent to the manager so the manager should be emailed when a staff member has requested a waitlisted course.

I will have to try out when the approval request email is sent to the manager. I think it is better to be sent when a date is known rather than when requested but might also be good to send when requested.

Craig

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 9 February 2012, 6:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Woutar

I set up a waitlisted f2f requiring manager approval.

The manager received 2 emails

one from the learner detailing the course with a link to approve the request

one from moodle@example.com saying that Craig jones with similar details as above. (one email should be enough)

There was also a task in the managers dashboard with this info in it with An option to approve the request.

So the answer is the date doesn't need to be known before the approval email is sent (and it's possible to approve a f2f session with an unknown time?)

Craig

Wouter Maenhout
by Wouter Maenhout - Friday, 10 February 2012, 2:50 AM
Group Partners

Hi Craig,

Thank for your response. It's clear to me. The only question i have is that when a waitlisted session (without date/time known) gets a date/time, will the manager also be notified of that?

Kind regards,

Wouter

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 12 February 2012, 1:51 PM
Group Totara

Hi Wouter

The manager didn't get an email when the date of a waitlisted session was changed to an actual date.

The manager is able to get a confirmation email sent when the person is enrolled in the course - with the date and time information in it s o should be notified of this .

I will try and see when this is sent  - do you think it would be better for setting of a date for a waitlisted session to trigger an email/alert to the manager?

Craig

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Sunday, 12 February 2012, 2:11 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Wouter

We've been using the F2F module for a while... 

We take the view that the that Waitist sessions are only an 'expression of interest' from the staff member and do not mean a committed booking into a session - therefore no confirmation to the staff member's team leader/manager.

When dated session become availble we advise course owners to choose between:

1. Emailing all the waitlist signups that dated sessions are now available. And, that the staff member needs to cancel their waitlist and then book on a dated session, or
  2. Unbook all the waitlisted signups and email them that this has happened and dated sessions are now available to book.

Over time, our view is increasingly towards recommending option 2 as we have quite a large number of waitlist bookings going back a couple of years - even thought dated sessions have also been availble.

Cheers

Austen