Offline quiz

Nurhaisyam Satar
Offline quiz
by Nurhaisyam Satar - Tuesday, 6 March 2012, 5:55 PM

Is there any offline quiz that students can
1) download the quiz and answer
2) upload it back to Totara
3) Totara will automatically OCR the question and gives grades

There's one plugin in Moodle that can do so. But it is quite obsolete and not compatible with 2.0+ and also have some minor issues with the core code. the link http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3601

My company wants something similar like this. We have learners that are in an oil plant where actually there's no Internet connection at all.

most of them will be accessed/graded by various ways such as assessment and quizzes. then later on Totara will actually generate a report whether they are competent or not.

if it is online quiz, i know it is possible to get the competency and so on. but now, i'm thinking of an offline quiz/ assessment. It's like the employee have their own competency profile/assessment that have been done and i need to populate it in Totara.

Thanks

Craig Eves
Re: Offline quiz
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 7 March 2012, 3:05 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nurhaisayan

There is some further discussion at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=186990 on this module and approaches to how this module can become a plugin rather than a patch so it fits in with Totara upgrades.

This would require developers to estimate  how complex and how many hours this would take.

Craig

Nurhaisyam Satar
by Nurhaisyam Satar - Wednesday, 7 March 2012, 6:33 PM

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the link. by the way, is there any way that i can create a folder and that folder is assigned to 1 user only?

what i wanted to do is, as a trainer, i have 10 students. i need those 10 students have their own folder in a course, and i will upload a document/scanned gradebook for them. The thing is, other students cannot see each other uploaded file, but only the course trainer can modify or see them.

the concept is similar to a Windows folder where i can set a permission for specific user to 'see' the folder/documents.

Thanks!

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Wednesday, 7 March 2012, 7:29 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nuhaisyam

The separate uploading of files by students can be done through creating an assignment activity - upload file

Giving students access to a separate folder is a bit more difficult - groups can be created for each student and then an activity created maybe a forum and this activity can have separate groups allowed.

This means each student would have their own forum where they can see attachments on topics that are posted by the teacher that  only they can see.

I will continue thinking on this as there may be a better way.

Craig

Nurhaisyam Satar
by Nurhaisyam Satar - Thursday, 8 March 2012, 12:19 AM

Hi Craig,

I've search in Moodle forums and found one solution that is quite good for the time being.  the links are http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=153633 .

i've tried the post from Mary Cooch that says,

"Do you mean that you have a separate spreadsheet or pdf for each student with their grades on? Are your students enrolled in the course already, and therefore in the gradebook? In which case I suppose you could use the offline assignment type. Set one up with just a message - here are your grades - and then - presuming your students appear in the gradebook, click on "view...submitted assignments" to get into the gradebook; click on "grade" for each student one at a time and in the comments section, make a hyperlink to their relevant pdf file with their grades on which you will have uploaded to Moodle or can upload when you hyperlink. There are other ways to do this too -seems long winded though."

but anyway, seems to be the best solution right now. one challenge is settled but i'm still thinking of the problem in my first post.

Thanks...

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 11 March 2012, 2:01 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nurhasiyam

That's good - this is similar to what I was suggesting - using the assignment for students uploading.

It is the uploading of files by the trainer in a separate folder that  was difficult and I suggested having group forums for each student. It is possible for the trainer to upload files for an Assignment for feedback for each  learner but this happens after submission of the assignment. You are wanting this to happen before the assignment is submitted.

A way around this would be for the students to submit an assignment with maybe their name in it  to show that they are ready to take the assignment. When the trainer receives this they could then attach the individualised assignment file for the student. Students could then submit the answers based on this assignment.

You would need to enable multiple submissions on the assignment and it would be a good idea to select email teacher on the assignment setup too.

Craig