Best practice forum (Archived)

Hierarchy Report

Nayan Velde
Hierarchy Report
by Nayan Velde - Thursday, 22 March 2012, 3:07 AM

Hi Everyone,

I want to generate a Hierarchy report in which the top position can see a report (user report or course/program report) of his team including the children of his team members.

I have attached an Hierarchy example. The CEO should be able to see to the bottom of the tree. Also the GM should see to the bottom of the tree. However the manager of the TL will be "Manager-1".

I have tried to get this layout through changing the options of the content in the custom user report, but i could not get this report.

I would appreciate any kind of help.

Nayan 

eabyas.in

Craig Eves
Re: Hierarchy Report
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 22 March 2012, 3:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi Nayan

In the report builder you can use the user report source and include the columns you want to show about the user.

Go to the the Filters tab and select the field Participants current organisation and save the report.

When you run the report there will be a filter reappearing similar to below. Select the Organisation and tick the Include sub-categories to include the organisation levels below this one.

Participant's Current Organisation Help with Participant's Current Organisation (new window) 
  Human ResourcesInclude sub-categories?

If you select search you will get the opportunity to save the search criteria for each organisation level and give individual users access to this report.

The option under manager only includes direct reports not those below so isn't  suitable.

Hope this helps.

Craig

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 22 March 2012, 8:10 PM
Group Totara

Hi,

What Craig is suggesting will work (although I would recommend using content restrictions if you don't want users to see all the records).

However this approach will only work if the organisation's structure happens to be the same as the management reporting lines. In some organisations that is not always the case.

For those organisations, we need to add another option to the 'By user' content restriction. Currently you can view your own records, or your direct reports records, but not all the way down the tree.

Since the recent changes to the way manager relations are stored have been made this should be possible, but it hasn't yet been implemented.

Simon

Nayan Velde
by Nayan Velde - Monday, 26 March 2012, 1:06 AM

Thank you for your replies.

Hi Craig & Simon,

The method you are suggesting is not feasible for a GM or CEO (as mentioned in the diagram) to view a report of all the users up to the bottom of the tree at single click of a button. As you know they have very little patience. :D

Right now any manger can only see his direct below team, or all the users in the organisation without filtering.

It would be helpful if there is a feasibility of generating a report where a GM/CEO can see a report of user/program of TL & below users of their own organization or below.

Nayan 

eabyas.in

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 26 March 2012, 7:57 PM
Group Totara

Nayan,

If you want to see all users in your own organisation and below, that is possible now using content restrictions (the content tab when editing a report). Currently you can only do it in certain reports like the course completion report but we have a patch to add that to the user source which will be in the next release.

If you want to see all users below you in the management hierarchy, that is not currently possible, although we do intend to add it at some point.

Simon