Best practice forum (Archived)

Dynamic cohort based on email

naama
Dynamic cohort based on email
by Marjaana Jokinen - Monday, 16 April 2012, 9:37 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to create a dynamic cohort based on the email address of the user profile field.

There are several users that have their emails defined as e.g. name@shop.com on their profiles. However, when creating a dynamic cohort this way, the number of users assigned to the group remains zero.

I thought it might be dependent on the cron, but it seems that creating a dynamic cohort based on organization or position is created without delay. Also, if I add a user's Name as the criterion from the profile field, just to test, it also works fine.

Just to be sure: what's the trick to doing this on the email field?

br,
Marjaana

Simon Coggins
Re: Dynamic cohort based on email
by Simon Coggins - Tuesday, 17 April 2012, 1:47 PM
Group Totara

Hi Marjaana,

I just tested it and it seemed to work okay for me. I'm wondering if it might be doing a case-sensitive match. Are the emails in the profile and in the cohort all lower case?

If so, what version of Totara are you running and what database are you using?

Simon

naama
by Marjaana Jokinen - Tuesday, 17 April 2012, 11:08 PM

Hi Simon,

Thanks for taking the time to check this. I'm using version 1.1.14 (build: 20120403.0).

The emails are lower case in both places. The email addresses have been set to "enabled" in the profile info.

Just to clarify my original post: I'm looking to create a cohort with the following rule: "anyone with an email address '@shop.com' should be included". This is a requirement of a potential client.

I can add users by giving their entire email (e.g. john@shop.com) but to me, this contradicts with the idea of a dynamic cohort. :)

Does this require a certain syntax? I've tried all sorts of combinations: @shop.com, shop.com, with/without the asterisk, with/without quotes...  It could be that I'm just missing something.

br,

Marjaana

This forum post has been removed
Wednesday, 18 April 2012, 2:47 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
naama
by Marjaana Jokinen - Wednesday, 18 April 2012, 10:08 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your reply and actions to improve this feature.

An enhancement would also be to enable the use of asterisk as a wildcard character in the text field.

Regards,

Marjaana