Best practice forum (Archived)

Face to face calendar invites

Sonia Grozdanoska
Face to face calendar invites
by Sonia Grozdanoska - Thursday, 10 May 2012, 6:37 PM

Hello people,

Has anyone encounted an issue whether some people are receiving face to face calendar invites and other aren't?  We've had a few of these.

Their setup in Totara and MS exchange are identical.  The ones that do not get the invites instead recieve a mail attachment called (922b). 

Sonia

Craig Eves
Re: Face to face calendar invites
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Thursday, 10 May 2012, 7:37 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sonia

There is an option when a user signs up to a face to face session to receive the invites through icalendar appointment and/or Email invitation.

This attachment sounds like it might be an icalendar appointment - if the icalendar format isn't being used to link this booking into a calendar then this shouldn't be chosen. Can you check that selecting email invitation only prevents this file being sent and an invite being sent by email.

Craig

Sonia Grozdanoska
by Sonia Grozdanoska - Thursday, 10 May 2012, 9:37 PM

Hi Craig,

Thank you for getting back to me. The default setting we have is  Email notification and Outlook invite. I just tried to sign up for a course using each of the three options available:

• Email notification and Outlook invite - I get an email and the calendar invite
  • Email Notification only - only get an email - no invite
  • iCalender Appointment only - I only get the invite

It seems as the three options are working as they should but I don't understand why some get the blank attachement?

Sonia

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 13 May 2012, 3:11 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sonia

Thanks for investigating this - seems strange that  they have identical setup - I think there must be something different somewhere.

Are all the users on the same email client - what version of Outlook exchange is being used? Do some users have signatures with graphic files in them? or anything elese you can think of.

Craig

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Sunday, 13 May 2012, 5:15 PM

Hi Sonia,

Do you mean that when set up to recive an iCal attachment, it comes through fine for some users but not for others?

Is the iCal attachment for those users missing completely or is there still an attachment there, it just doesn't work properly? If the attachment is there but does not work, if you could post an example of those iCal files then I can check them to see if they are malformed in some way so that Outlook cannot read them, that might help us track down the problem.

Sonia Grozdanoska
by Sonia Grozdanoska - Sunday, 13 May 2012, 7:44 PM

Hi Ciaran,

To answer your first question yes. Some Ical come through other recieve an blank  attachment with no invite.  So the attachment appears for everyone but one is an ical invite and the other a blank email message.

I attached an email for you to view.  This email was sent to me to investigate, everyone in the team that were invited to the training recieve an ical invite except this one person. I have confirmed they are on the same exchange server and their settings are the same as the others who recieved the invite.

As I can only add one attachement to this thread I have added an ical invite (from a test) to the email so you can see the two types of attachements which can appear.

Hope this helps.

Sonia

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Sunday, 13 May 2012, 8:21 PM

Hi Sonia,

The problem appears to be newlines. If I take the ics attachment from the message you posted it is all on one line - if I manually go through and add newlines where they are supposed to be to get a properly-formatted iCal attachment then the attachment works....I think. Give it a test, I've attached it with the newlines added to this post.

So if that works for you, then something somewhere, for particular users, is stripping newlines out of the iCal attachment. So now we just have to figure out whether that is happening somewhere inside Totara or somewhere inside your Exchange server...

Sonia Grozdanoska
by Sonia Grozdanoska - Sunday, 13 May 2012, 8:50 PM

Hi Ciaran,

Thanks for looking into this. I just sent the attached ical to the user who was having issues and they were able to recieve and accept it.  When it was accepted it appeared in their calendar.  So your theory is correct it works.

Are there any other tests I can do from my end?

Sonia

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 25 July 2012, 6:11 PM
Group Totara

Hi Sonia,

We've improved the ical escaping code in 1.1.18 (out 18th July 2012). Hopefully that should have fixed your issue but we've been unable to reproduce the problem at our end so we can't be sure.

Please let us know if upgrading doesn't fix your issues and we'll try again.

Simon