Best practice forum (Archived)

completion tracking and reporting

? ?
completion tracking and reporting
by ? ? - Monday, 9 July 2012, 1:02 AM

We have had a lot of trouble with a client getting completion settings right - in activities and course settings, and confusion over certificate locking. At the start they didn't tick the checkbox for "completion starts on enrolment" and when this was ticked later, it took a while to realise that it is not backdated for existing enrolments and the only way to make previous users appear in reports was to un-enrol and re-enrol them.

We thought this was fixed for all affected courses and users but it seems to be happening again - managers see reports with learners missing. Trying to recreate the scenario and test it is very time consuming so I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems and may shed some light?

Craig Eves
Re: completion tracking and reporting
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 9 July 2012, 5:02 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alan

The default when setting up a new course is for the completion starts on enrolment to be ticked - so hopefully it won't be a problem for future courses.

Which reports are you talking about - do you run the activity completion progress report  so problems with completion settings are identified early.

Have you tried the backup/restore options keeping user data for selected activities and restoring into an existing course with the right settings. This may be easier than unenrolling and enrolling students.

Craig

? ?
Re: completion tracking and reporting
by ? ? - Tuesday, 10 July 2012, 9:46 AM

Thanks for replying to my vague request ;-)

We have pretty much decided the issue can only be down to incorrect course setup, whatever the customer claims, and are going through thorough checking and testing on some new courses.

> Have you tried the backup/restore options keeping user data for selected activities and restoring into an existing course with the right settings.

That's an interesting option I need to look into.