Best practice forum (Archived)

SCORM Grade Tracking Issue

Mike Martin
SCORM Grade Tracking Issue
by Mike Martin - Tuesday, 24 July 2012, 3:07 PM

Totara community,

I'm having a really tough time with a pesky grading issue and I hope you can help. I'm using Articulate Storyline. I create a SCORM file, set the passing grade to 70%, double check it, and export. In the TOTARA course, I sent the SCORM "require minimum score" to 70, and check "user must receive a grade." I then set the course passing grade to 70 and launch the course to my audience. This course consists of just the one SCORM file.

The problem seems to be in the SCORM. Basically, I have dozens of learners who scored a 77.77%, and when I run the SCORM report (from the "view reports for __ users") it registers the 77.77% scores as FAILED. Strangely, in the course itself, it reports a passing score and a "complete" status. I'm thoroughly confused here. I have no idea where the issue is. Since I'm running the report on the SCORM, that must be it but all of the percentages are correct. I double and triple checked them. Can anyone think of why the report would return a FAIL for a 77.77% when all minimum scores along the way are set to 70%? Thanks in advance!

Dan Marsden
Re: SCORM Grade Tracking Issue
by Dan Marsden - Tuesday, 24 July 2012, 3:23 PM

SCORM issues can be a bit hard to diagnose - especially related to the gradebook - can you add a couple of screenshots of the reports to show us exactly what you mean?

you should also take a look at these links to understand how SCORM works:

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/SCORM_FAQ#Handling_of_Multiple_Attempts
http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/SCORM_FAQ#SCORM_and_the_Gradebook

Those links are for Moodle 2.3 so there may be a couple of settings explained there that don't exist in Totara.

If the learners got a 77.77% score and a completed status on intial entry but have re-entered the same SCORM attempt again it could have altered the status  - here's one of the possible causes:

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/SCORM_FAQ#Moodle_changes_cmi.core.lesson_status_from_.22completed.22_or_.22passed.22_to_.22failed.22

Mike Martin
by Mike Martin - Tuesday, 24 July 2012, 4:05 PM

Dan, thanks for the quick reply. here's an example. It's so strange to me. Maybe you can shed some light? I'll take a look at the links you sent over. Thanks!

Dan Marsden
by Dan Marsden - Tuesday, 24 July 2012, 4:45 PM

ok - I presume this statement " in the course itself, it reports a passing score and a "complete" status" - you mean totaras activity completion? - if you're using the grade option Totara's activity completion ignores the lesson_status completely.

My guess is that the user either

A: re-entered the SCORM and exited without completing which set cmi.core.exit to suspend and updated the lesson_status.

B:- they closed the SCORM package before it updated lesson_status to completed.

To fix "A" above you could use the force new attempt option which will create a new attempt rather than re-opening the existing "completed" attempt when the learner returns and enters the SCORM after previously getting a completed/passed attempt.

To fix "B" you may need to make some changes to your SCORM package - you may need to ask for help in the articulate forums for this.

hope that helps.