Best practice forum (Archived)

Lesson capture browser back button

Matt Smith
Lesson capture browser back button
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 28 August 2012, 3:06 PM

Hi all, 

We have created a lesson with vidoes and mulitple choice questions to answer once viewing the vidoes.

If the learner clicks the browser button to go backwards when doing the assessment questions this is not being registered as being an attempt, therefore you are able to answer the question and if it is incorrect press the back button and choose a different answer. 

If the learner doesnt use the back button on the browser, if they get it correct it jumps to the next video and if incorrect it jumps back to the previous video and they can watch it again. When they answer the question incorrectly again they are presented with a message to get help from the teacher. 

Thanks, 

Matt

Craig Eves
Re: Lesson capture browser back button
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 28 August 2012, 4:54 PM
Group Totara

Hi Matt

What settings have you got on the lesson - can you try the setting for maximum number of attempts set to 1 (this has the following effects)

This value determines the maximum number of attempts a Student has in answering any of the questions in the lesson. In the case of questions which do not provide the answer, for example Short Answer and Numerical questions, this value provides a necessary escape routine to the next page in the lesson.

The default value is 5. Smaller values may discourage the student from thinking about the questions. Larger values may lead to more frustration.

Setting this value to one gives the students just one chance to answer each question. This gives a similar type of assignment to the Quiz module except that the questions are presented on individual pages.

Note that this value is global parameter and that it applies to all the questions in the lesson regardless of their type.

Note that this parameter does not apply to teachers checking of questions or navigating through the lesson. Checking the number of attempts relies on values stored in the database and question attempts by teachers are not recorded. The teacher should after all know the answers!

If the browser back button is being used this might not work as there is an unresolved bug http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-1944 in Moodle that looks as though this was being requested.

Craig

Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Tuesday, 28 August 2012, 5:40 PM

Thanks, I will make the change to the settings and then test it out. 

Cheers, 

Matt.

Matt Smith
by Matt Smith - Sunday, 9 September 2012, 5:17 PM

I have done some more testing.

I did module one got the first question wrong on the first attempt, used the back button in the browser, re-answered the first attempt question got it right then went through the rest of module one getting all questions right and still got 100%.  My first answer did not get recorded. 

I have changed the setting to Maximum number of attempts 1.

Any ideas?

Matt

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 11 September 2012, 5:33 PM
Group Totara

Hi Matt

Sorry I left the last digit off the bug number it should be http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19444.

There aren't any comments besides the bug on possible ways this could  be resolved unfortunately. Have any partners been able to resolve this?

Craig