Best practice forum (Archived)

Changing completion settings to include a new course activity

John Le Rossignol
Changing completion settings to include a new course activity
by John Le Rossignol - Friday, 7 September 2012, 7:49 AM

I have added a quiz to a course page that we would like to be made available once a learner has completed (and been marked as 'fully attended') a face to face session.  Unfortunately, we have already scheduled and run some of the F2F sessions. Now when I try to edit course completion it warns that unlocking it will remvoe existing course data. I tested this on a test course and found that course reports and record of learning data was wiped but bookings and attendance for sessions and under My bookings was preserved.

Is there any way we can edit the course completion without affecting the information on our users who have already completed the f2f course? Anyone know any good workarounds as I imagine this happens a lot?

Simon Coggins
Re: Changing completion settings to include a new course activity
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 10 September 2012, 6:52 PM
Group Totara

The reason the completion data must be removed is that changing the completion criteria will impact who has completed the course. for example if you had completion criteria saying "must receive a grade of 70%" and you change it to 80%, you could end up in a situation where there are people which a grade of 75% who are marked as complete.

To avoid that the data is removed when changing the criteria - however the completion criteria is recalculated the next time the cron runs and anyone who meets the new criteria will be marked as complete again.

So you your case, anyone who is already fully attended should automatically get marked as complete next time the cron runs, as long as the completion criteria is still met.

Simon

John Le Rossignol
Re: Changing completion settings to include a new course activity
by John Le Rossignol - Tuesday, 11 September 2012, 9:35 AM

Thanks Simon - have tested and that seems to work OK.