Best practice forum (Archived)

Advice please - simplest way to manage enrolments

Simon Coggins
Re: Advice please - simplest way to manage enrolments
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 16 September 2012, 7:41 PM
Group Totara

Hi Jo,

Here are a few things to try:

If your users are accessing the course without having to be enrolled them you may have guest access enabled. Have a look on the course settings page and set "Allow guest access" to "no". That will force them to enrol.

In 2.2 each course can have multiple methods for enrolling - you can see the available ones by going to Course Settings > Users > Enrollment Methods from in your course.

Manual enrolments means that the user must be enrolled by hand. Self enrolment means they can enrol themselves.

So in your case if you turn off guest access and enable self enrolment, the user should be prompted to choose to enrol before they can see the course.

To make sure Course completion is on go to Site admin > Advanced Features and make sure "Enable completion tracking" is on. It also needs to be enabled in each course -  in the course settings (under student progress). If you want it enabled by default for new courses you can set that in Site Admin > Courses > Course Default settings.

When editing/creating a course there is a checkbox ("Completion tracking begins on enrolment"). Make sure that's checked as it will create a course completion records as soon as the learner enrols on the course which I think is what you want.

If all that is done it should start tracking them when they enrol.

As it happens I'm going to be in Perth visiting Moodle HQ in October. Unfortunately my flights are already booked so the only time I have free is the weekend (27th-28th October). I was planning to do some site seeing but I could pop in for a couple of hours to help out if you don't mind it being the weekend. :-)

Simon