Best practice forum (Archived)

completion tracking begins on enrolment

? ?
completion tracking begins on enrolment
by ? ? - Friday, 28 September 2012, 2:04 AM

The main use for Backup and Restore seems to be in order to "clone" a course in it's entirety including all settings. But it seems not everything is preserved.

The tickbox for "completion tracking begins on enrolment" is unset in a restored course. First seen on a heavily customised installation so I thought it was something we broke, but now also in a couple of more standard versions (v.1.1).

[I just tried it on a vanilla 2.2 and it works as expected - checkbox restored intact]

This is probably at the heart of many problems we have recently had with reporting - I find that completion tracking has not begun, trace it to this checkbox and the course creator swears it was set; then all learners have to be un-enrolled and re-enrolled (very tedious process) to begin tracking. Of course this also highlights how everything needs more testing before release.

This forum post has been removed
Friday, 28 September 2012, 6:10 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
? ?
Re: completion tracking begins on enrolment
by ? ? - Friday, 28 September 2012, 8:16 AM

So far only 1.1 but have 2.2 in testing.

We have never (to my knowledge) tried to restore any user/completion data. We only use this for cloning courses as a basis for quick setup of similar courses. We expect all the text, resources and settings to be the same but have recently noticed this "begins on enrolment" is not carried over. I don't know whether it disappears at the backup or restore stage. I think we noticed a couple of other things not carried over but I've lost my notes now... one of them was the checkbox for "Approval required" in a face-to-face activity.

David Curry (Core Developer)
Re: completion tracking begins on enrolment
by David Curry (Core Developer) - Wednesday, 21 November 2012, 7:31 PM
Group Totara
Hi Alan,

A patch for this issue was included in today's (22nd Nov 2012) release of Totara 1.1.21,  however the fix has not yet made it into a 2.2 release. Hopefully this fixes all of your missing data on restore issues, and there will be a patch for 2.2 soon.

Cheers
David