Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Completion for a Face-To-Face course

Rohit Dhody
Course Completion for a Face-To-Face course
by Rohit Dhody - Thursday, 11 October 2012, 1:57 AM

Hi,

I have a course which consists of a Face to Face activity containing sessions. I want to mark the course as well as the Face to Face activity completed only when the trainer marks the learner attendace as "Fully Attended" for the session.

In the Activity Completion Criteria of the F2F activity, there are only two options: 

1. Student must view this activity to complete it

2. Student must recieve a grade to complete this activity.

In the help file, it is mentioned that a trainer can take attendance on a face-to-face session, when you take attendance the learner receives a grade for the session. The possible grades are:

0% for no-show

50% for partial attendance

100% for fully attended

Where do I need to set the option for the course and F2F session completion criteria as completed only when the grade is 100% (fully attended).

Appreciate the support to resolve my issue.

Regards,

Rohit

me
Re: Course Completion for a Face-To-Face course
by George Angus - Thursday, 11 October 2012, 4:51 PM
Group Totara

Hi Rohit,

Under Course Administration make sure you have enabled Completion Tracking under "Student Progress" in "Edit Course Settings". Then go to Completion Tracking, there is a "Course Grade" option where you can set the grade required.

hope this is useful,

George.

Rohit Dhody
by Rohit Dhody - Saturday, 13 October 2012, 9:00 PM

Thanks George. got the desired outcome after implementing your suggestion.

Rohit

Rohit Dhody
by Rohit Dhody - Sunday, 14 October 2012, 4:16 AM

Hi George,

I thought i nailed the issue but was wrong. Its still not working for me.

I have a F2F course with one F2F activity consisting of a session. for the F2F activity, i have not marked any completion criteria.

In the F2F course completion criteria, i have enabled the course grade and put 100.0000 in the grade required field.

However, the course is still showing in progress after the trainer as marked the attendance as "Fully Attended". 

see attached screenshot.

Appreciate your support to resolve the issue.

Rohit

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 14 October 2012, 6:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Rohit,

Im certain the problem lies with the completion criteria not being set. My feeling is the Course criteria settings are global.

regards,

George.

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 7:22 PM
Group Totara

Hi Rohit,

On relection I think the solution lies in the Activities completed section of the Edit course completion settings:act_comp.JPG

The box next to the required activity needs to be ticked.

regards,

George.

Rohit Dhody
by Rohit Dhody - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 8:23 PM

Hi George,

I found out the solution to my issue by going through previous posts in the forum. Actually, i was doing everything right as you suggested earlier, but while testing, the course was still not marked as complete. Then I realized that there is a cron that has to be run to mark the courses as complete. I was not aware of this fact. Now, after completing the course, if I run the cron, the courses are marked as complete for the learners.

The thing is that usually this cron is run at the end of the day by the LMS. This means that once a learner completes the critera of the course, he would still not be marked as complete until the next day.

We are trying to device a way, such as scheduling to run the cron every hour. but need to test the load on the server for this.

Hope you can shed some light on this.

Thanks,

Rohit

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 16 October 2012, 8:31 PM
Group Totara

Cron! I too have had this experience.

regards,

George,

This forum post has been removed
Thursday, 18 October 2012, 6:30 AM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Rohit Dhody
by Rohit Dhody - Saturday, 20 October 2012, 10:29 PM

Thanks for your suggestion Alastair. We are planning to run the course completion cron every half hour. that would suffice for us.

Regards,

Rohit