Best practice forum (Archived)

Sharing Ideas and Best Practice

Scott Young
Sharing Ideas and Best Practice
by Scott Young - Friday, 19 October 2012, 3:20 AM

Hello, I was wondering if there are any Totara users who might be up for sharing some ideas and best practice. Our company (based in Edinburgh, UK) are about roll out all our eLearning and training using Totara and it would be good to hear from others who have already done this.

If anyone with more experience of Totara was interested, we would find really valuable.  Maybe we could have a chat or even a visit if you are reasonably local and compare notes.

Thanks

Scott
Murali Botta
Re: Sharing Ideas and Best Practice
by Murali Botta - Friday, 19 October 2012, 4:04 AM

Hi,

I will help you.

you can reach me murali4php@gmail.com

Thanks

Murali

Jan Anderson
by Jan Anderson - Friday, 19 October 2012, 4:10 AM

Scott

Although we are relative newbies to the world of Totara we're based in Northumberland and would be happy to exchange ideas, hints and tips. We have around 5000 people on our system and are still expanding.

Regards

Jan Anderson

Patrick Appleyard
by Patrick Appleyard - Tuesday, 23 October 2012, 2:41 AM

Hi Scott

Our Trust started using Totara in April for implementation, but mainly used from July 2012 to support a group of staff completing some specific eLearning Modules.  We achieved over 90% compliance / sucess rate using Totara in 1 month, which is a huge difference compared to using our other LMS.

We have just over 8000 staff in the organisation and we are already using Totara for many different activities.  We are working on a blended learning approach rather than just eLearning.  We do have a number of eLearning Modules running, which we are adding to on a regular basis.  We also link to external Modules that are provided freely and track completion using Self Certification and through comprehensive assessments / question banks.

We are also trying out approaches of capturing work-place assessment activity (non-NVQ) and using Totara.  This will eliminate the need for paper and enable multiple methods of reporting.

We are also working with our provider (Synergy Learning) on a new bespoke Module for Performance and Development Reviews that will sit within Totara.  We are aiming for this to go live in April 2013 and be used for all non-medical staff in the Trust - approx. 6000 staff.

We are also working on other projects using Totara, such as virtual development centres, etc.

We have made the strategic decision to move away from Flash oritented eLearning Module where ever possible to enable useage on iPads. 

We are happy to share ideas on what we are doing.

Regards

Patrick

Jan Anderson
by Jan Anderson - Tuesday, 23 October 2012, 7:36 AM

Patrick - are you using learning paths?

I'm trying to find someone who has used them in a smilar size organisation to ours (5000) with a wide range of jobs, to give us some tips.

Regards

Jan Anderson

Patrick Appleyard
by Patrick Appleyard - Tuesday, 23 October 2012, 7:58 AM

Hi Jan

Not yet, but I have been testing them.  We are going to go live with them when we introduce the new PDR Module. 

We are preparing how we will implement the competencies and learning paths at the moment.  It is our intention to have all requirements assigned to every position on Totara.  When a person is assigned to the position they will inherit all the requirements.

Regards

Patrick

Grant Beevers
by Grant Beevers - Sunday, 16 March 2014, 7:43 PM

Hi Patrick,

I was wondering if you might be able to share some best practice around the setting up, configuring and access to F2F activities. My focus is on how we can best achieve giving access to those to F2F activities, but also being able to give it to larger audiences who may not be enrolled in all courses etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Grant Beevers