Best practice forum (Archived)

Audiences - new member not enrolled

Darren Roberts
Audiences - new member not enrolled
by Darren Roberts - Tuesday, 8 January 2013, 6:28 AM

Hi

I have a number of dynamic audiences and have created two new users today, which meet the criteria for two of the audiences and so have been added as a member to the correct ones, but neither has been enrolled on the required programs.

Anyone have any ideas why that would be? The available from and until dates on the audiences straddle today (being 1 Dec 2012 through to 31 Dec 2013) so they are active, and manually running the cron job shows it is updating the audiences. There are no exceptions on the programs, and theprograms only show the other audience members as assigned to them.

This has also been working with no changes made to the configuration for a good few weeks so why would it suddenly stop? What can I do about it?

Cheers

Darren

me
Re: Audiences - new member not enrolled
by George Angus - Tuesday, 8 January 2013, 2:56 PM
Group Totara

Hi Darren,

Some cron tasks are run overnight and are not picked up by a manual run. Also it might be worth looking at the courses - do the course have a set start date and a number of weeks to run?  Let me know if you still have a problem.

Can you get me some indication of what the rulesets are? Have you checked if the courses are still current?

regards,

George

Darren Roberts
by Darren Roberts - Thursday, 10 January 2013, 3:54 AM

Thanks George - they were indeed added overnight...

Can I just ask why none of this behaviour is clearly documented? This sort of information is vital to those of us setting up instances of Totara that aren't hosted by yourselves, and would help any one else understand why they are not seeing what they expect to happen...

Cheers

Darren

Andy Kirk (Totara)
by Andy Kirk (Totara) - Thursday, 10 January 2013, 5:13 AM

Hi Darren,

For those setting up their own instances of Totara, we do have the help site, including some notes on the Cron process at http://help.totaralms.com/Cron.htm

We are always looking to improve out documentation though when any gaps/needs are identified. We can perhaps put a note in about cron beahviour in the dynamic audience/enrolled learning sections of the help site?

Cheers

Andy

Darren Roberts
by Darren Roberts - Thursday, 10 January 2013, 5:55 AM

Hi Andy

Exactly, a little information box on the audiences help page that says

"Please note that enrollments will happen as part of the cron job. Please click here for further information on the cron schedule"

And that links to your main cron help page which at the moment gives a sketchy outline of what the cron job is for and how to set it up, but a useful addition would be a table detailing when specific activities occur, so in this case:

add/remove audience members -> scheduled cron (default 15mins)

audience enrollments -> nightly cron

etc

Cheers

Darren

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 10 January 2013, 2:31 PM
Group Totara

Hi Darren,

Ive submitted an enhancement bug for this, there is an ongoing review of the Helpfiles/documentation in progress and we will be looking to consolidate them later in the year.

regards,

George.