Best practice forum (Archived)

gap analysis?

Matthew Lee
gap analysis?
by Matthew Lee - Monday, 21 January 2013, 2:16 PM

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a little guidance on this one. I've got a customer who is looking to manage "gap analysis". Here is a direct message from them:  

Gap analysis (comparison of difference between current skills and skills required for a desired job position)

How would this be managed in Totara if at all? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best

Matt

me
Re: gap analysis?
by George Angus - Monday, 21 January 2013, 2:30 PM
Group Totara

Hi Matt,

At present there is no functionality, but with Totara Performance Management scheduled to be rolled out Easter a "gap analysis" feature will not be too far behind.

regards,

George.

Matthew Lee
by Matthew Lee - Monday, 21 January 2013, 3:48 PM

Thank you for the quick response. Can you think of any type of work around using either included features or 3rd party plugins that might get close?

thanks

Matt

me
by George Angus - Monday, 21 January 2013, 4:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Matt,

I think the only way you could get near this at the moment would be course completion in the learning plan, that is use the plan to sketch out where you'd like the learner to be and use the course completion as a measure of how far they have to go.

regards,

George.

This forum post has been removed
Monday, 21 January 2013, 5:53 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 15 February 2013, 7:36 AM

George

Can you give some indication of when the gap analysis feature will be available after the performance management rollout?

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 17 February 2013, 7:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi William,

As far as Im aware it will be in 2014.

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 18 February 2013, 12:23 AM

Wow, that's a long way behind, given the Easter rollout of Performance Management
me
by George Angus - Monday, 18 February 2013, 1:25 PM
Group Totara

Hi William,

Performance Management will not be available for 2.4, but it will be rolled out with 2.5 September/October.

http://www.totaralms.com/feature-a-benefits/roadmap

We are staying in lockstep with Moodle.

regards,

George.

? ?
by ? ? - Tuesday, 19 February 2013, 1:09 AM

What did you mean by Easter in your earlier post, I'm a little confused?

me
by George Angus - Tuesday, 19 February 2013, 2:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi William,

The date has been put back from Easter as planning and feedback to longer than anticipated.

regards,

George.

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Monday, 21 January 2013, 6:03 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator
Hi Matt

We do this now and in four quite different ways:

Change training / one-off assessment of skills gap.

We use a customised version of the Feedback module.  Where the staff member completes a set of the standard feedback questions (normally self-ratings in skills) and then it’s forwarded to their Team Leader to review and validate.

Operations Management processes in our LMS.

We have a Skill Matrix – a custom report view for Team Leaders that they add the Core Tasks undertaken by the team (a type of Competency) and then rate each staff’s skill rating in each task each month.

Using a separate report of the data you can determine the gap between forecast work and current skill availability. Outside of the LMS we use staff member time recording and error rate to determine efficiency rate.

Our process is geared towards our wider use of AOM methodology and is more suited to HR support of factory/production/delivery businesses.

Role Competency gap (for development planning)

We show staff their current role Competencies and their rating in these. Totara has a aspirational role option (but we're not yet using this).

In parts of the business with development frameworks it’s clear to the staff member & their Team Leader which of these Competencies are required for the next level up.  We haven’t automated this process as the parts of the business doing this have long time-frames (e.g. 10 to 20 years to advance from a Lvl 1 to Lvl 5 Investigator) and some ‘competencies’ are large (e.g. degrees and some particular post-grad qualifications).

Team Leader development – 360 Tool

We built an in-house 360 tool over a decade ago (before we’d even thought about an LMS) and we've stuck with it as it meets needs and the Moodle 360 module is good but not significantly better to justify the change.

If we were starting from scratch we’d use the Moodle 360 tool as it does the basics.

Hope this helps and happy to share.

Cheers
Austen