Best practice forum (Archived)

How to hide courses from users

Tom T.
How to hide courses from users
by Tom T. - Friday, 22 February 2013, 7:48 AM

Hi,

I have lots of different courses and category courses and I want that only the students that are enrolled into particular course can see only that particular course or category course from the navigation/menu. Now every student can see all category courses and all courses, even those that they are not enrolled into. 

Of course they can not enter other courses or see the activities inside...

I want that they see from the list only their enrolled courses and not all the courses in the world :)

Regards

Tom

Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer)
Re: How to hide courses from users
by Ciaran Irvine (Core Developer) - Friday, 22 February 2013, 9:28 AM

Hi Tom,

Currently there are no easy ways to do this. There are some workarounds that may work for you:

https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17331

And discussions are ongoing on how to best add this functionality into Totara: https://totara.community/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=17343

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Sunday, 24 February 2013, 5:28 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tom

This can be achieved by changing the course setting course availability to This course is not available to students - this will prevent the course showing up in course searches. As long as the student is enrolled in the course by some method they will be able to access the enrolled course through My Learning.

The other discussions mentioned are to do with hiding courses from non-enrolees of the course.

The hidden categories should work as students or roles won't be able to see these and categories don't appear to turn up in course searches.

Craig

Tom T.
by Tom T. - Monday, 25 February 2013, 12:00 AM

Thank you all for the answers. I want that also in the category manu tree there is no courses seen for non-enrolled students, not only in the search feature.

But what about the calendar - if a student click on calendar menu (upper main menu) he can see also all courses. I want to prevent this from happening, so that for example only enrolled students can see these categories of courses or courses or only the ones who are in particular organization or position or cohort, audience or competence. Is this possible?

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Monday, 25 February 2013, 1:02 PM
Group Totara

Hi Tom

For non enrolled students the non available course won't show in the category menu or the search.

For the calendar the course will be shown if you make the event a site event, if you make the event eg face to face  a course event the event will not show on non enrolled student's calendar.

I have tesetd on Totara 2.2.14 and this is how it works for me - is this the way it works for you?

Craig