Best practice forum (Archived)

Course with single SCORM activity showing as “not yet started”

Colin Watt
Course with single SCORM activity showing as “not yet started”
by Colin Watt - Tuesday, 5 March 2013, 3:42 PM

Hi

I wonder if possible for some to advise or has a work-around for the following.

We are running Totara 2.2.15

We have a number of courses with a single SCORM activity.

A learner can take a course but it would appear if the learner attempts the SCORM and fails or exits the SCORM before they pass (i.e. complete the activity) the course Progress with within the learners Record of Learning (after the cron has run) remains as “Not yet started”. It would appear to get a status of “In-progress” you need at least one completed resource or activity.

Is there a way to trigger the status of the course progress to show “In-progress” when a course only contains a single SCORM activity and the learner has lanuched that activity.

I also notice the completion progress for the SCORM activity, the Requirement and Status columns remain blank even when the learner completes the activity (see sample image). At present the sco only updates the lesson status to passed and does post a score. Should these columns be populated and what are should appear?

Many thanks

Colin

me
Re: Course with single SCORM activity showing as “not yet started”
by George Angus - Tuesday, 5 March 2013, 8:04 PM
Group Totara

Hi Colin,

This is a bug - Ive raised it with the devs  & Ill file a bug report. Possibly the best work around is what you have observed - having another activity within the course. 

The "Requirement" field is the activity completion criteria which can be set at  "Activities completed" within the completion tracking.

The "Status" header is confusing and Ill submit an enhancemnet bug - it refers to ongoing status of activity progression, once the activity is complete ("Yes" appears under Complete) the activity no longer has a status.

regards,

George.

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Sunday, 5 May 2013, 10:10 PM
Group Totara

Hi Colin.

I'm working on a patch to fix this. I'll let you know when I make some progress.

Nathan

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Wednesday, 8 May 2013, 7:04 PM
Group Totara

Hi Colin.

I've written a patch to put all custom mod requirements (in addition to the standard requirements) into the report above. This included the following modules: SCORM, Feedback, Assignment, Forum, Glossary and Choice. I've removed the Status column as it seems to never have been working, and if it were working as it should have, it would have displayed exactly the same data as the Complete column.

The patch is currently going through internal testing and will hopefully be included in the next release.

Nathan

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Monday, 20 May 2013, 2:36 PM
Group Totara

Hi Colin.

I realised that the Status column actually was doing something useful, so I put it back, and I've populated it for custom activity completion requirements (and also the standard ones - Viewed activity and Achieved grade), so now that column shows which requirements have been completed (or their progress, if numerical).

The patches are currently in testing. The patch to put the Status column back into Totara 2.4 will hopefully be included in the 2.4 patch next week (28th of May) and the 2.2 patch (filling in Requirements and Status columns) should be included in 2.2 the following week (4th of June).

Nathan

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Sunday, 12 May 2013, 8:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Colin,

The good news is it looks like we will have a fix for the "not yet started/in progress" status soon. We are going to add a new checkbox in the course completion settings called "Mark as in progress on first view". If checked, a user's status will be updated from not yet started to in progress the first time they access the course (not when the first criteria is completed).

That's not quite the same as updating the status when they access the scorm, but it is a more general solution that fixes this issue for other activities and hopefully will be suitable for you.

If all goes well this patch will be in the next 2.2 release which is expected on 4th June.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 24 June 2013, 10:19 PM

A patch for this issue was also included in today's (25th June 2013) release of Totara 2.4.4.