Best practice forum (Archived)

Fail Mail

Belinda Sharp
Fail Mail
by Belinda Sharp - Monday, 4 March 2013, 7:25 PM

We have set up a course with an assessment, which learners get three attempts to pass. Is it possible for Totara to generate an email to the manager if the learner fails all three attempts? (we are using 1.9)

Cheers

Belinda 

me
Re: Fail Mail
by George Angus - Tuesday, 5 March 2013, 2:20 PM
Group Totara

Hi Belinda,

There is no facility to do this, but if the assessment is a quiz the learner will be able to see the results there and then.

regards,

George.

Austen Sinclair
by Austen Sinclair - Tuesday, 5 March 2013, 2:58 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Belinda

I was thinking about this overnight - as it's kind of thing we'd also like to do.  I suspect the main problem is that there is no way to record 'Fail' in Totara.  In an academic context in Moodle not achieving a passing mark by the end of term is, err, not a pass.

Sometime ago we added a Course Completion state of 'Completed, but not successfully' which can be manually assigned by the course instructor but this of no use here.

To do this, I assume it'd be a customistion after the Attempts setting in the Quiz module with a 'send email to manager on reaching attempts limit'.  It would need to have a 'release new attempt' link in that message to avoid having the LMS adminstrator being run off their feet!

If you're interested (or other Totara subscribers) we'd consider co-funding some this development.

Cheers
Austen

Craig Eves
by Craig Eves (Totara Support) - Tuesday, 5 March 2013, 5:04 PM
Group Totara

Hi Belinda

There is the ability to send an email to a specified role that an attempt has been made on a quiz.

The permission to allow is emailnotifysubmission. The email can contain a number of fields and content of the message can be changed by modifying the message using the language modification.

A link to the attempt number can be included in the email so this can be reviewed by the email recipient but there is no facility to restrict this to being sent only if the quiz is failed in all attempts.

See http://docs.moodle.org/19/en/Quiz_submission_email_notification for more details

regards

Craig