Best practice forum (Archived)

programme enrolment is not providing access to course quiz

James Igoe
programme enrolment is not providing access to course quiz
by James Igoe - Wednesday, 13 March 2013, 4:49 AM

Can someone please explain to me why enrolling a staff manager on a programme does not allow them to take course quizzes? And do you know why I have to enrol a staff manager on every course within a programme to work around this?

We have enrolled the staff managers on a programme but they cannot access the course quiz. The staff managers are getting the error message "Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (View quiz information)". Staff managers can view and complete all other activities on the course.

Our developers told us that we have to enrol the managers manually on each course within the program. This means that the one-stop programme enrolment is a fruitless exercise. Instead of the end user receiving only one email, for programme enrolment, they receive a dozen emails, for each course enrolment.

I have gone into Users>Permissions>Define roles>Staff manager and amended the quiz settings (see image attached). I have allowed staff managers to preview quizzes, but not attempt quizzes as I was informed by our developers that Totara does not support both. 

Kind regards
James

me
Re: programme enrolment is not providing access to course quiz
by George Angus - Wednesday, 13 March 2013, 7:44 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

I cant replicate this, I wonder if its to do with the role assigned to the Staff Manager when they are enrolled in the course or activity - could you have a look at those?

cheers,

George.

James Igoe
by James Igoe - Thursday, 14 March 2013, 9:31 AM

Hi George

Do you know which permissions, if any, within the staff manager role (Users>Permissions>Define roles>Staff manager) that need to be amended? The only permissions I can see that might allow access to quizzes are the ones highlighted in my attached screenshot. If you know of any other Staff Managers permissions that need amended I would be grateful for your input.

There are two ways that we enrol users on a programme:
1. adding an audience - of learners (or 'trainee advisers')
2. adding individuals - everyone else, e.g. Staff Managers

Learners, who are enrolled via the audience method, can take the course quizzes in the programme okay. Staff Managers are added individually and can successfully go through all the topics within their courses but cannot view the quiz.

I have been informed that the only way to allow those Staff Managers enrolled as individuals on a programme to take the course quizzes is to manually enrol them on every course within the program. Effectively this means that enrolling individual users on a programme doesn't work. We instead need to enrol individuals manually on every course within that programme, which is a time-consuming and error-prone alternative.

Cheers
James

me
by George Angus - Thursday, 14 March 2013, 4:17 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

There is an enrollement plugin - but the default role assigned is "Learner". Have you checked to see if this is the case?

G.

James Igoe
by James Igoe - Friday, 15 March 2013, 10:34 AM

Hi George

A-ha! That would make sense. As there is only one option to choose from, it would have to be 'Learner' that is the default.

Would it be possible, in future, to have more than one role included in Enrolments > Program > Default role? If not, I'll have to use a manual workaround to resolve this issue.

Regards
James

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 17 March 2013, 1:30 PM
Group Totara

Hi James,

If the default is "learner" though then the quiz should work.

G.