Best practice forum (Archived)

This forum discussion has been removed

This forum post has been removed
Thursday, 21 March 2013, 7:21 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
me
Re: Course Completion Dates
by George Angus - Sunday, 24 March 2013, 2:38 PM
Group Totara

Hi Kirk,

This isnt possible by design for auditng and compliance purposes - all I can suggest is using a custom field.

regards,

George.

Thursday, 30 May 2013, 9:23 AM
me
by George Angus - Monday, 3 June 2013, 9:48 PM
Group Totara

Hi John,

You might find some useful info here:

http://docs.moodle.org/23/en/Grade_import

You'd have to upgrade to 2.4.

hope this helps,

regards,

George.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Friday, 14 June 2013, 7:52 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

From what I can see, this is useful for modifying the grades for a specific activity, but won't allow you to set retrospective completion dates. I would also like to add a big +1 to this request, ideally we would like to be able to upload a set of completions (course ID, date completed), even if it was marked as RPL or similar, so that completion dates could then be displayed in reports and used for other things. Obviously this would need to be an admin-only capability for audit and compliance purposes, but I'm guessing there is a technical reason why it's not possible?

? ?
by ? ? - Friday, 14 June 2013, 7:15 AM

Just wanted to add to the conversation that this is a need I have come by with multiple clients. There is a demand for importing historical training records and nothing is very elegant to achieve it at this time.

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Friday, 14 June 2013, 7:57 AM

I also want to add a 'Me Too' to this one (Importing external training reccords), in-fact its probably the exception that this would not be a requirement for any of my upcomming clients.

me
by George Angus - Sunday, 16 June 2013, 7:10 PM
Group Totara

Hi,

There is no functionality in Totara for this, Im given to understand the only way possible to do this is to use a custom script to write data straight into the database.

Regards,

George.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Monday, 17 June 2013, 1:14 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Can I therefore request as an enhancement to Totara, that a new admin section be added for the site admin (or possibly even an expansion of Totara Sync) which allows an upload of a CSV file of user IDs, course IDs and completion dates which can then be written to the Course Completion part of the database?

Thanks

Dan

me
by George Angus - Monday, 17 June 2013, 7:09 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

Ive submitted an enhancement bug.

Regards,

George.

Tuesday, 18 June 2013, 5:44 AM
me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 19 June 2013, 8:52 PM
Group Totara

Hi Alan,

Ive noted that it is a popular feature on the request.

cheers,

George.

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 20 June 2013, 6:32 AM
Group Totara

Just to let everyone know that we have a project that is looking to add this feature and I'm hopeful that we will get it into the next major release (2.5) due Sept/Oct this year.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Sunday, 7 July 2013, 8:28 PM

As a workaround for a current need, we commissioned the developer of the MOOSH plugin to exend the plugin so as to allow us to bulk import gradebooks into courses (thousands of courses). This does not solve the course completion date issue for us but at least allowed us to import historical data in bulk via scriptable API.

I look forward to the new enhancement as this seems to be a need we've seen on a few occasions.

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Thursday, 31 October 2013, 7:03 PM
Group Totara

Hi,

Just to let everyone know that 2.5 includes a "Upload course completions" feature that allows you to provide historic completion data. We have also added a "Course completion history" table and report so you can view and track changes to a user's status over time.

Simon

? ?
by ? ? - Wednesday, 7 August 2013, 2:12 PM

I have been successful in importing data directly to the mdl_course_completions table. This allows for a system level report of completions import and reporting, however the completion records do not show up in a user's record of learning and in some other places. I have realized that the courses for which the historical data is imported must not only exist, but the user must also be enrolled in the course and the course must have completions enabled and at least one completion criteria set. This means also importing data into the mdl_course_completion_crit_compl table.

A few things: I am hoping the import feature Totara adds will account for:

1) import via CLI: the clients I am dealing with have hundreds of thousands of records to import and this would not be a good thing to perform via the user interface

2) that the import tool will account for the existence of courses for the record, the enrollment, and the completion settings ie: mdl_course_completion_crit_compl database table.

At this point I am still unsure if additional relational data must be imported to make the import I have performed more robust. If anyone has more knowledge of this I would certainly appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Easter Island / Rapa Nui
by Russell England - Thursday, 8 August 2013, 2:47 AM

Hi Jamie

I'm working on something similar at the moment. Feel free to get in touch if you want to share some ideas.

Cheers, Russ

? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 12 August 2013, 8:05 PM

Hi Russ,

I would be delighted to share ideas and will PM you.

Jamie

Sunday, 8 September 2013, 9:23 PM
? ?
by ? ? - Monday, 16 September 2013, 6:57 AM

Oscar: this is precisely the process I have used several times to import records. For the last part, where the completion date needs to be adjusted, we create custom sql queries to set the correct completion date directly in the database since there was no other way to do this. I am interested in the block you describe, however I am also hoping that the functionality that will be included in the 2.5 release will allow for setting the completion date.