Best practice forum (Archived)

Competency framework vs, Sub-hierarchy

Amir Elion
Competency framework vs, Sub-hierarchy
by Amir Elion - Monday, 15 April 2013, 11:07 AM

I wonder if there are any guidelines or common ways to use different competency frameworks vs. building a hierarchy of competencies.

One could build all competencies into a single competency framework, seperating top level topics, e.g.:

Competency framework
> Regulatory competencies
>> Health and Safety
>>> H&S Basics
>>> H&S Ergonomics
>> Trade Resrictions
> Professional competencies
>> R&D
> Genreal compdetencies
>> Language
>> Computer literacy

etc.

What are the ways other are approaching this?

What might be the benefits of seperating to several frameworks?

Austen Sinclair
Re: Competency framework vs, Sub-hierarchy
by Austen Sinclair - Monday, 15 April 2013, 3:31 PM
Group PartnersGroup TXP Site Administrator

Hi Amir

This is great question and one we'd also like to know if others have developed an approach on.

Below is our collection of frameworks - although this shouldn't be considered best or even good practice.  We found that the act of bring the various frameworks already in use across the business together in one place is the hardest part - as each area has significantly different approaches. Few were compatible with each other.

Cheers
Austen

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Monday, 15 April 2013, 9:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Amir,

From a functionality point of view there are only really three differences I can think of:

1. If you need to use different competency scales, you need to use different frameworks as each framework is assigned exactly one scale.

2. The UI for selecting competencies is different if you use separate frameworks. You get a pulldown menu in the dialogs and have the ability to search by framework or across all.

3. There is a little known feature called competency aggregation, which allows you to set the competency status based on the status of child competencies. If that is enabled, using separate frameworks would prevent aggregation.

Hope that helps,

Simon

Amir Elion
by Amir Elion - Tuesday, 16 April 2013, 2:17 AM

Thanks Austen and Simon.

Indeed when the structure or scales are different it makes sense to use separate frameworks.

I am aware of competency aggregation and have been using it. Also the UI and usability considerations are clear.

I was wondering if there're any plans to implement admin permissions and access according to separate frameworks. This might enhance options for delegating framework management and/or multi tenanting.

More ideas and insights welcome.