Best practice forum (Archived)

Running Cron - Program and Course completion

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Friday, 26 April 2013, 11:50 AM

I'm trying to get the course completion and program completion status to update as close to real time as possible, and I want to get some general advise and feedback on this. 

I believe course and program completion is calculated via the cron. As standard I believe this is done on an hourly basis, and the program status on a daily basis.

• Is it possible to get these to run close to real time?
  • have others done this, and what is the effect on the server?
Thank you in advance!
This forum post has been removed
Friday, 26 April 2013, 12:10 PM
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
Friday, 26 April 2013, 2:43 PM
me
Re: Running Cron - Program and Course completion
by George Angus - Sunday, 28 April 2013, 4:43 PM
Group Totara

Hi Bodo,

This is possible, but as to what effect this may have on your server Im not sure - but it will have a detrimental effect on speed if they are run too often. Hopefully you can get some feedback from others on the forum.

regards,

George.

Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 6:24 AM

Hi George, 

Can you get a Totara developer to give us their opinion on this matter: How to make the course and program progress status real time or as close to real time as possible.

"Has anyone considered separating the Course and Program completion processes from the current cron, and have this separate 'Progress cron' run more often?
OR 
potentially have it run after each course completion event on a per user bases. I.E its run only on my records when I complete the course."

Regards
Bodo

Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 5:09 PM
Sunday, 28 April 2013, 8:20 PM
Bodo Hoenen
by Bodo Hoenen - Monday, 29 April 2013, 8:31 AM

Has anyone considered separating the Course and Program completion processes from the current cron, and have this separate 'Progress cron' run more often? OR potentially have it run after each course completion event on a per user bases. I.E its run only on my records when I complete the course.

• has anyone attempted to do something like this?
Regards
Bodo

Simon Coggins
by Simon Coggins - Wednesday, 15 May 2013, 7:07 PM
Group Totara

This has actually already been done in Totara for Course completion - there is a script at lib/completion/run_cron.php which will just run the course completion cron but not other cron activities. It was added in 2.2.10 so exists in all later versions and in 2.4.

Adding a similar script for program completion might be a good intermediate step until the "instant completion" functionality has been finished.

Simon