Best practice forum (Archived)

Course Creator role assignment remains on user profile page after manager changes

Daniel Bond
Course Creator role assignment remains on user profile page after manager changes
by Daniel Bond - Tuesday, 7 May 2013, 3:03 AM
Group Most helpful contributor 2023

Not sure if this is a bug, expected behaviour or something specific to our setup. When a user's manager is set, that manager is assigned the Course Creator role in that user's profile page. This makes sense, and means that rights added to the Course Creator role are inherited by the manager in question, but only for that particular user's profile.

What's slightly confusing, and why I post this question, is that when the manager changes, the former manager still has the Course Creator role assignment for the user's profile page. This is also the case if the user is switched to having no manager. Is this the intended behaviour or a bug? Also, is there any way to remove the assignments manually so I can clear things up?

me
Re: Course Creator role assignment remains on user profile page after manager changes
by George Angus - Tuesday, 7 May 2013, 8:34 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

I couldnt recreate this - could you explain in further detail & screenshots would be handy too.

regards,

George.

Daniel Bond
Re: Course Creator role assignment remains on user profile page after manager changes
by Daniel Bond - Wednesday, 8 May 2013, 6:30 AM

Thanks for trying, hopefully this will all make sense!

This is my profile (standard user not admin):

I add a position (because you have to to update the profile it seems) and a manager:

I look at the details of Mr Manager's role assignments, where he is now manager of these two users:

I remove Mr Manager as my manager:

Mr Manager still has Course Creator rights assigned for me:

I add someone else as my manager:

Still, Mr Manager has Course Creator rights on my profile:

It is worth pointing out that Mr Manager no longer has me on his My Team page:

If this is a problem with only my setup, I'm happy to file a ticket with my Totara partner if that is better.

me
by George Angus - Wednesday, 8 May 2013, 8:50 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan,

Thanks for that. Its pretty comprehensive & I agree its a bug!  While the "Course creator" text is still there, the role assignment is definetly updated - the ex-manager no longer has the capabilty.

regards,

George.

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Thursday, 9 May 2013, 1:46 AM

It's updated in that I no longer appear on Mr Manager's My Team, but he still has the capabilities which Course Creator brings (in this case just view full profile, but potentially we might want to allow managers to edit staff profiles, etc.)

Thanks for looking into this.

Dan

Daniel Bond
by Daniel Bond - Monday, 13 May 2013, 2:03 AM

Just to confirm, this appears to be an issue on sandpit.totaralms.com as well, although in that case it's the Staff Manager role that is assigned (and which isn't removed when the manager changes).

Once again, thanks for looking into this, really appreciate it. Once this is sorted the management system will be a really useful tool for my organisation.

Nathan Lewis
by Nathan Lewis - Monday, 13 May 2013, 4:26 PM
Group Totara

Hi Dan.

Yuliya has created patches for Totara 2.2 and 2.4 which fix this problem. They will hopefully be included in the next releases.

Nathan